VMware Networking Community
gregheywood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Which NSX exam do I take now?

According to this, the VCA6-NV exam was (actually it says will be) "retired on October 15, 2016."

VCA6-NV Certification Exam

Is there a new version? For my first NSX exam, should I be looking at something else?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lhoffer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, it's replaced by the 6.2 version:  VCA6-NV 6.2 Exam

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
lhoffer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, it's replaced by the 6.2 version:  VCA6-NV 6.2 Exam

0 Kudos
gregheywood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks! How does it actually work? The exam availability only shows for two days, and it doesn't even give me a location. Are they done from home or something these days? Or when I click on Register for this exam", will I get a list of locations and more dates?

Sorry for the silly question, but I don't want to commit to an exam and then not be able to do it this weekend Smiley Happy

exam.png

0 Kudos
lhoffer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The VCA level exams are non-proctored and delivered online so can be taken any time within the 48 hour window.

0 Kudos
gregheywood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks ihoffer. I better hit the books and get it booked then. Maybe I Should do it on Xmas day Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
NealeC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Greg,

Do you have a another VCP already or have you done an ICM course?

I ask as I would REALLY recommend the VCP over the VCA.

The Associate level exams seem to be very poor quality compared to the VCP/VCAP/VCIX exams.  They are a random mix of sales/business requirements and technically detailed questions.

I don't believe they are beneficial. 

For overviews and solutions knowledge (if you have partner access)

The VSP/VTSP Partner Accreditations are much better than VCAs

For Technical knowledge and demonstration of understanding

The VCP-NV (now 6.2 version) is industry standard (not many employers would recognise a VCA level qualification)

For practical lab-based demonstrations of your skills in NSX

The VCAP/VCIX track and lab based exams are much better.

I appreciate that if you don't have an existing VCP or have done NSX ICM, then VCP may not be an option.  But personally I found the VCA not worth the money compared to VCP-NV and VCIX-NV.

-------------- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Chris Neale VCIX6-NV;vExpert2014-17;VCP6-NV;VCP5-DCV;VCP4;VCA-NV;VCA-DCV;VTSP2015;VTSP5;VTSP4 http://www.chrisneale.org http://www.twitter.com/mrcneale
0 Kudos
michael_warne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would like to recommend vSphere 6.5. VMware has rolled out a lot of new features in the latest version of vSphere, including updates to High Availability and DRS, as well as a new version of VVOLs.

koenig-solutions.com - VMware Certification
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There is a forum area dedicated to certifications: Training & Certification

And these pages are ideal for reading up on all the various certifications: VMware Certification

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
gregheywood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. I was thinking of doing VCA on NSX as a stepping stone to VCP. I won't get an suitable training course for VCP until next year sometime, but I at least qualify for a VCA certificate once I pass the exam. I did do the vSphere exam (and ICM course), but it was 4.0 from memory so a while ago.

0 Kudos