VMware NSX

View Only
  • 1.  Where to deploy Edge node

Posted Sep 10, 2022 01:46 PM

Hello Team,

Generally where people deploy Edge nodes (Management Cluster or Compute Cluster). what all points we need to consider based on that we can decide where we can deploy Edge nodes for Overlay/VLAN traffic. Please assist.

Thank you in advance.  

• 2.  RE: Where to deploy Edge node

Posted Sep 12, 2022 01:00 PM

Hi,

It totally depends on your design. You can have a dedicated Cluster for your Edge Node or can deploy on Workload Cluster or on the Management cluster. Also, you can deploy Edge Node on a Cluster which is not used by or prepared for NSX. 

• 3.  RE: Where to deploy Edge node

Posted Sep 12, 2022 02:02 PM

yes, you are right it depends on the design, I would like to understand How to decide the best option where to deploy the same. Could you please share some  use case based on that will get an idea of where to deploy the edge node?

Thank you in advance 

• 4.  RE: Where to deploy Edge node
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 13, 2022 07:49 AM

Hi,

Well, that depends on what kind of architecture they have. Is it collapsed architecture where Management & Workload VMs are deployed on the same cluster or do they have a separate Cluster for Management & Workload? If they have separate clusters then does the Workload Cluster have enough resources to run Edge Nodes? If not, then I will deploy the Edge Nodes on Management Cluster. For a large environment where I need more than 8 Edge Nodes (L or XL size), I may go with a dedicated Cluster for Edge Nodes considering their future growth.