VMware Networking Community
samir2324
Contributor
Contributor

Where do I have to set-up a vSwitch machine?

Hello Guys,

can somebody tell me, where I have to set-up a vSwitch? Maybe I have a claas-room with 20 physical clients with a simple win-os VM on it, so is it possible to set-up only one vSwitch ESXi-Host (vSphere) per room, and every client is forwarding his packets to this machine and the machine will communicate them in the virtual network? (Because in my mind, the virtual network is built by at least two vSwitch-members, is that right?) or must even single client have to run a vSwitch on its ESXI-Host?

Thanks Sam

0 Kudos
4 Replies
grosas
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi samir2324

I've read your other thread as well, where you are asking for an explanation of NSX.  I'm going to assume you're not creating these threads to troll on the community.

It seems like there is big gap in your understanding of basic virtualization concepts.  The vSwitch is a component of ESXi.  ESXi is a Hypervisor software that runs on "bare-metal".

In a virtualized portion of an environment, physical clients (servers running an OS) have been replaced with servers running a hypervisor, like ESXi.  Virtual Machines run "on-top" of the ESXi machines.  The vswitch is a logical networking element within ESXi.

If I were you, instead of diving into vSwitches/NSX, I would start with something like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmrJlWDG0yk

Happy learning!

Twitter: gabe_rosas
0 Kudos
samir2324
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. That's right and I know that the priciple of virtualization with VMware vSphere is, that many virtual-machines are running on one physical machine with a bare-metal hypervisor (ESXi) = The Cluster Method. and thats why it is called "Ditribute" on any logical software-components.

So now it seems that it only make sense, that every classroom-client hast to obtain it's vm from one server, right? The vSphere ESXi host and ervery physical machine is acting as a thin-client. And no other way is possible?

0 Kudos
grosas
Community Manager
Community Manager

I think you're more on the right track.  Unless your are running esxi on the PC's, they are just clients that will connect to vsphere/vcenter/host|cluster

Youre asking, if you can have 20 PCs on the clien't side, does each one have to run a vswitch, right?

the answer is no to that .. The PC will only ever run the vSphere client (or access your vSphere environment via browser/web client).  Those will never run any other logical component.

windows-pc x 20 running vSphere client

---------------------

|

|

[phys switch]

|

|

[one server or a cluster of servers running ESXi] vSwitch/Distributed Switch only here

(vm1)

(vm2)

(vm3)

does that answer the question? 

Twitter: gabe_rosas
0 Kudos
James__M
Contributor
Contributor

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the original poster may be trying to use the physical desktops in the classrooms as "thin clients"...like VDI thin clients....OP, a little clarification/concurrence? You are right in the fact that the OP may not fully grasp VMware product line and "use-cases". Just wanted to try and clear up OPs question...unless I'm wrong of course...

0 Kudos