VMware Networking Community
RussKelly
Contributor
Contributor

VIF Attachment Provisioning Errror using vCenter in an Openstack NSX-MH Environment

I have a working environment with Openstack (Ice House Compute and Control), NSX-MH 4.0.1 and I have added a vCenter cluster to the compute list.  All provisioning, using openstack works just fine for the Ubuntu Openstack-based compute, however, although I can see the the compute in Openstack for the vcenter cluster and the VM's DO get provisioned on the correct ESXi and datastore, the NSX controller does not attach the correct VIF UUID to the logical port automatically.  I have to go in manually to NSX and edit the logical port, choosing the correct attachment from the list.  When I do this everything works correctly.

Are there any known issues with VM provisioning for VM's on ESX/vCenter clusters when provisioned though the Openstack dashboard?   I have attached screen shots of the exact issue.  Again, all works frin for other OpenStack compute - just the VIF attachment ID for the VM in the cluster is incorrect.

It would be good to get this resolved, so we can demonstrate NSX-MH with both hypervisor types, using the single OS dashboard.

Any insight on the ESX, vcenter troubleshooting, logs etc welcome.  The /etc/nova/nova.conf file seems to be fine with the [vmware] entries and the vmwareapi compute driver being correctly called - as I can see the vCenter cluster and VM's are provisioned.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
m-nara
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

did you configure "allow-custom-vifs" on esxi host ?

if you did not, you need to configure it.

# nsxd --allow-custom-vifs

Enter the username and password for the ESXi host.

0 Kudos