VMware Networking Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Uplink profile or Portgroup Teaming Policy

Dear Team,

As per the below diagram, On Portgroup we have set the A/S failover order teaming policy and on the NSX-T Uplink profile, we have set the Load balance on the source which teaming policy will supersede and take effect? Please assist

MrVmware9423_0-1659067536285.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aggarwalvinay31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, and to further add on, also apply to segments created from NSX-T but not on VDS distributed port groups. Below diagram taken from design guide should help - 

aggarwalvinay31_0-1659956219463.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
aggarwalvinay31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From diagram what I understand is that you have applied Load Balance Source on Default Teaming policy and Failover Order with only one Active uplink in Named teaming policy for Edge Uplink Profile Configuration. In vCenter, you have two Port Groups running with Active Standby configuration of pNICs to which Edge fp-ethx are connected.

Both serves difference functions. In Port Groups, A/S configuration will ensure that in case your active pNIC got failed, any traffic from edge VM is not blackholed and it will have 2nd path for ingress/egress.

Whereas, on Load Balance Source in Uplink profile configuration will give you multiple TEPs so you can effectively use both port groups and Failover Order with single active uplink will provide deterministic termination of your traffic from Tier0 gateway.

These configurations are covered in depth in NSX-T Reference design guide as part of using VDS with NSX-T.

MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you Vinay,

Does it mean NSX-T Uplink Profile teaming policy (i.e. Load balance on Source) applies at  Portgroup level and Portgroup Teaming Policy (Active/Standby) applies to Uplinks defined in that PortGroup, Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Thank you in advance...

0 Kudos
aggarwalvinay31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, NSX-T uses N-VDS (NSX Virtual Distributed Switch) to forward traffic between logical world and physical world. Any Transport Node will have N-VDS (exception is vSphere 7.0 with NSX-T 3.x where you can have NSX running on top of VDS). I will take example of Edges as this is what depicted in initial question.

If you look closely, there is N-VDS present inside Edge nodes, for which uplink will be fp-eth0 and fp-eth1. And then there is another virtual switch which is VDS (vSphere Distributed Switch) for which uplink is pNIC0 and pNIC1.

NSX-T uplink profile control the behaviour of policies applied on N-VDS uplinks where as VDS Teaming and Failover Policies control the behaviour of policies applied on uplink of VDS and both are different from each other. I would highly recommend to go through NSX-T reference design guide section Logical Switching which talk about N-VDS, VDS and VSS; uplink profile and policies and how they work.

https://nsx.techzone.vmware.com/resource/nsx-t-reference-design-guide-3-0#_Toc21330282

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ok I got it now NSX-T Teaming Policy Will be applied to N-VDS uplink i.e fp-eth01 & fp-eth1

vSphere 7.0 with NSX-T 3.x where you can have NSX running on top of VDS =>  In this case, if we apply the same uplink profile to host transport node (Default Teaming Policy => Load balance source Uplink1, Uplink2 & Name Teaming Policy1 Failover order : Uplink1 and Name Teaming Policy2 Failover Order: Uplink2)  Does Default teaming Policy & Failover Order will apply to VDS uplink??

0 Kudos
aggarwalvinay31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Uplink profile policies applied on ESXi Transport Node define behaviour for TEPs, so yes it will define policies but it will not override any policies for other VDS port groups managed through vCenter itself. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

what i've understood is uplink profile polcies will be applied only to TEP DVPG,not other DVPGs OR

NSX-T Uplink profile will be applied to fpeth0 /Fp-eth1 , Please confirm

0 Kudos
aggarwalvinay31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, and to further add on, also apply to segments created from NSX-T but not on VDS distributed port groups. Below diagram taken from design guide should help - 

aggarwalvinay31_0-1659956219463.png

0 Kudos