VMware Networking Community
VMwareCTO
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UCS/NSX to integrate for VTEPs Uplinks PortChannel

Hi folks, as a NSX new learner regardless of how the topology look like I am actually wondering can I configure 2 vNICs on my UCS Blade to be a port channel and attach my VMkernel port  ( The VTEP ) to that port channel. is that Designed supported supposing we run latest and greatest updates from both VMware and Cisco ?

Many thanks in Advance

4 Replies
cnrz
Expert
Expert

The VTEP Vmkernel interface is bound to a Vlan Port Group on the ESXi host. NSX Supports all Teaming and Failover Modes except Route based on Physical NIC Load (LBT i.e. Load Based Teaming). If Multi VTEP design is used (due to increasing redundancy and throughput), then there are two options left and Route based on Originating port or Source MAC hash may be used. For single VTEP design and RedundancyBlade Server LACP or Static Etherchannel Option (Route based on  IP hash) VPC configuration may be used on the Blade Chassis FEX Modules for each ESXi Blade Server.

This link explains each option and design choices in detail:

http://www.routetocloud.com/2014/05/nsx-and-teaming-policy/

Multiple_VTEP_Supported_NIC_Teaming_Policies.jpg

Also a design guide specifically for the UCS Blades and Nexus switches may be helpful:

https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/nsx/vmware-nsx-on-cisco-n7kucs-design-guide.pdf

0 Kudos
smitmartijn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To add to caneros response; if you're using UCS Blades, you cannot channel links from fabric A and fabric B together. So if vNIC 1 goes to Fabric Interconnect A and vNIC 2 goes to Fabric Interconnect B - it's not possible to make a port channel out of them.

Read through the design documents, but you're best off using the standard ESXi load balancing (per virtual port) or use multiple VTEPs for more throughput.

VMwareCTO
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I asked my question in the first place because I said what if I have a case that needs multiple VTEPs :smileygrin:

still helpful many thanks to you mate

0 Kudos
VMwareCTO
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yup, it's better we create a vNIC on FI-A and another vNIC on FI-B and configure QoS policy on the UCS to IP-Management Traffic, vMotion, Storage and the VM Traffic Smiley Happy

Many thanks to you mate, helpful.

CHEERS

0 Kudos