VMware Networking Community
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Two transport zone with same NVDS name

Hello,

Is there a use case for using same NVDS name under more than one Transport zone ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can and actually have to use the same NVDS name when you have a TN with both VLAN and Overlay backed segments.

Page 18 of the design guide:

A N-VDS can attach to both an overlay transport zone and a VLAN transport zone at the same time. In that case, those transport zones have the same N-VDS name.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, the N-VDS names need to be unique.

mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can and actually have to use the same NVDS name when you have a TN with both VLAN and Overlay backed segments.

Page 18 of the design guide:

A N-VDS can attach to both an overlay transport zone and a VLAN transport zone at the same time. In that case, those transport zones have the same N-VDS name.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

But that's the same actual N-VDS object though, correct? Not two separate objects.

0 Kudos
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, it's the same NVDS, so the same name.

The question can be a little confusing, because it says same NVDS name, not same NVDS.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Understood, although I think OP is asking about creating multiple N-VDS objects with identical names which, from my understand, is not permitted.

0 Kudos
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You are right. N-VDS names have to be unique.

I would say both are answers are right depending on how we interpret the question.

0 Kudos
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks daphnissov and

0 Kudos