VMware Networking Community
Sateesh_vCloud

True NSX multi-tenancy options available (Pros & Cons) Scale-out is our requirement

We are planning to deploy NSX stack with specific requirements like typical Edge VM connected with Uplink and Logical switches (no DLR)

This is going to be the blueprint for creating automation effort.

We found two options and trying to see which has more benefits:

pastedImage_0.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
1 Reply
lucasitteam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Design Guide Page: 69 onward is your best resource. I'm preparing for VCP-NV exam and below are my observations

Service Provider Multi-Tenant

Benefits

• Each tenant who needs Isolation, L2VPN, Load Balancing. All these functions are served using dedicated NSX Edge instances.
  • Each tenant has its own DLR and NSX Edge.
  • Dedicated DLR will restrict the routing within the tenant.
  • Dedicated Edge will allow overlapping of IP Addresses.

Limitations

• Scalability is limited. Total 10 interfaces are available per Edge. Two are recommended to use for Uplink, so you are limited to deploy 8 Tenants to the same Edge. But then these 8 tenants cannot have over-lapping address unless you decide against advertising it.
  • NAT must be performed on the Tenant NSX Edges to ensure that tenants using overlapping IP addresses can be distinguished once their traffic flows toward the aggregation NSX Edge.

Multi-Tenant Scalable

Benefits

• Addresses the scalability limit by introducing Sub-interface
  • Maximum 200 sub-interface per Edge is available.
  • Route peering is established between Edge vNIC and Sub-interface.
  • Both BGP and OSPF Peering is supported.

Limitations

• Overlapping IP Addresses is not possible

Hope it helps.

Others you can review/suggest/comment on my blog here ->Daily Challenges of Lucas IT Team – Aligning IT with Business