VMware Networking Community
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Static Routing

Hello,

I am trying to setup an NSX environment using static routes. As I am not a network expert, I need some help here. Let me describe my environment:

-- NSX 6.2.1 is installed

-- A DLR is deployed and a logical switch is created. 172.16.10.0/24 is assigned for the Logical switch and few VMs are running.

-- An ESG is deployed. The ESG and DLR are connected a thru Transit logical switch and Static route added between both.

--The ESG has a uplink to external world via External-vDS and having 192.168.10.10 as uplink IP Address

Now, the problem is that I am unable to reach the VMs in the VXLAN (172.16.10.0/24) from the External desktops.

Do I need to add a static route on the physical device (Cisco router)  (ip route 172.16.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.10.10)?

If it is not required, what I need to make this work?

I really appreciate your responses.

Thanks,

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You'll want to ensure that traffic destined for the networks behind the ESG is routed properly from the physical network into the overlay.  One approach to doing this would be to use a static route like you had mentioned for the physical router.  Once in place, the ESG would need a static route sending traffic for the 172.16.10.0/24 network to the DLR.  The DLR would need a default route out, which would point to the internal interface of the ESG, while the ESG would have a default route pointing toward the physical router.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You'll want to ensure that traffic destined for the networks behind the ESG is routed properly from the physical network into the overlay.  One approach to doing this would be to use a static route like you had mentioned for the physical router.  Once in place, the ESG would need a static route sending traffic for the 172.16.10.0/24 network to the DLR.  The DLR would need a default route out, which would point to the internal interface of the ESG, while the ESG would have a default route pointing toward the physical router.

0 Kudos
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you! Much Appreciated

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos