VMware NSX

View Only
  • 1.  Segment ID Pool

Posted Jan 24, 2019 10:56 AM

Hi,

Can I assign more than one segment ID Pool, The point is I would like to dedicate range per application for ex range 5000-5999 to web01 and range 6000-6999 to web02.

Thank you

• 2.  RE: Segment ID Pool

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 24, 2019 11:23 AM

There is no sub-pool concept in Segment-ID configuration. Either we go with a single pool or if it is a cross VC we will have a universal and Local Pools . Irrespective of the configuration, vni number is a least significant bit in any network and i don't recommend leveraging the number system to align with a specific workloads , for sure values will fluctuate "when  there is a deletion/addition of logical switches", and trying to align VNI that way sounds like traditional VLAN mapping which doesn't add any value in VXLAN overlay network . So you should let NSX take care of the same. :smileyhappy:

• 3.  RE: Segment ID Pool

Posted Jan 24, 2019 03:47 PM

Many thanks

In this case what would you recommend instead of align VNI for each application or system ? The same question for multi tenant will it be over vDS or Transport zone ?

• 4.  RE: Segment ID Pool
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 25, 2019 08:56 AM

Lot depends upon End-End design in the overall datacenter. There is no thumb rule when it comes to multitenancy tenancy , NSX is flexible enough to fit with any designs . For a given

Scenario : Total of 5 tenants and each tenants have 5 VLANS and dedicated routing stack is required however there are few tenants which should be routable between themselves and rest of them doesn't need . In this case VDS design doesn't add much value , unless there is a requirements for VDS features for specific tenants and Uplink connectivity/speed differ across server models which will have a direct impact on tenant design.I hope you got my point. Like I said I would recommend keep VNI completely aside and consider VDS,TransportZone,DLR,Edges etc as the key criteria while designing. Just ensure there are no overlapping Segment-ID while doing cross VC designs.

• 5.  RE: Segment ID Pool

Posted Jan 28, 2019 12:54 PM

Thank you, Very helpful.

• 6.  RE: Segment ID Pool

Posted Jan 29, 2019 12:58 PM

Thanks,Helpful Information