VMware Networking Community
ajaynwops
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Question on DLR

Just trying to understand DLR function. This is my understanding please correct me if i am wrong.

If we have multiple Vxlan hosted on one Esxi host we can do routing on Exsi host itself without even leaving hypervisor ,kind of inter vlan routing . When these VM's are hosted across multiple Esxi host we need to configure VTEP's to communicate.

is that mandatory to turn on DLR for VTEP to VTEP communication ? or that is done with Edge services. Any example would be appreciated.Another question I have VTEP IP pool is that going to be part of transport vlan ? I could not get any example which also talks about physical network stuff being configured on Vmware virtualization.

AJ

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
poozza
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

- No it is not mandatory to have DLR turned on for inter-VTEP communication if the communication is between two VMs located on different ESX hosts which are on the same VXLAN Logical Switch(aka same network).

- DLR is needed for optimized distributed-routing between different Logical Switches. You always have the option to configure the default gateway for all your logical switches on the Edge services gateway(instead of using the DLR). However if u do so, you hairpin the traffic to the Edge-services gateway VM every time you want to communicate to a VM on another logical switch even if the VM is located on the same hypervisor.

- For examples, please refer to NSX Logical Routing Deep Dive on youtube or VMWorld presentation repositories.

- Yes, VTEP Pool is part of the transport VLAN. Please refer to NSX Design Guide on communities.vmware.com for more details.

VMware® NSX for vSphere Network Virtualization Design Guide ver 3.0

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
poozza
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

- No it is not mandatory to have DLR turned on for inter-VTEP communication if the communication is between two VMs located on different ESX hosts which are on the same VXLAN Logical Switch(aka same network).

- DLR is needed for optimized distributed-routing between different Logical Switches. You always have the option to configure the default gateway for all your logical switches on the Edge services gateway(instead of using the DLR). However if u do so, you hairpin the traffic to the Edge-services gateway VM every time you want to communicate to a VM on another logical switch even if the VM is located on the same hypervisor.

- For examples, please refer to NSX Logical Routing Deep Dive on youtube or VMWorld presentation repositories.

- Yes, VTEP Pool is part of the transport VLAN. Please refer to NSX Design Guide on communities.vmware.com for more details.

VMware® NSX for vSphere Network Virtualization Design Guide ver 3.0

0 Kudos
ajaynwops
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This really helps. Thanks

0 Kudos