VMware Networking Community
JoeOst
Contributor
Contributor

Push traffic Via a specific VM

Hi,

I have an interesting question. Is the concept described below possible with the NSX (nativly or creatively)? The idea is to force all internet-bound traffic to pass a specific VM, not for routing, just layer 2 packet flow. In the example below, VM1 (192.168.1.50), which resides on host ESX1 wants to get to the internet using its gateway 192.168.1.254, a physical firewall. I would like it so that packets must flow Via VM2 as illustrated by the orange line in the (sloppy) diagram below. I assume that promiscuous and forged transmit would need to be allowed.  in the physical world, this would be equivalent to placing a man-in-the-middle device between the Lan and firewall, so that the flow looks like this: PC > Switch > Man-in-the-middle Device > Firewall.

Also, i have a question about promiscuous mode and forged transmit. When creating a Logical Switch, it automatically creates a dvPortGroup on the appropriate DSwitch (depending on the transport zone config). If i now wish to change the promiscuous/forged security settings for a  specific logical switch, do i change it on the PortGroup level? What if the logical switch was pushed to multiple DSwitches, would I need to manually adjust the settings on each PortGroup within each Dswitch?

NSX.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Take a look at the NSX Design Guide ( VMware® NSX for vSphere Network Virtualization Design Guide ver 3.0​) for information around this subject.

0 Kudos
amolnjadhav
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

> If i now wish to change the promiscuous/forged security settings for a  specific logical switch, do i change it on the PortGroup level?

Yes, it is always better to enable promiscuous/forged security settings at PortGroup level instead of DVSwitch Level.

What if the logical switch was pushed to multiple DSwitches, would I need to manually adjust the settings on each PortGroup within each Dswitch?

This question looks to be trick but Yes you have to enable promiscuous/forged security settings at each pg within each DVS.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Regards Amol Jadhav VCP NSXT | VCP NSXV | VCIX6-NV | VCAP-DCA | CCNA | CCNP - BSCI
0 Kudos
JoeOst
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Could you possibly point me to the section in which this design is described?

0 Kudos