VMware Networking Community
cheekiat89
Contributor
Contributor

Physical to Virtual Server Communication in NSX

When I was attending the NSX course, the instructor told me NSX must use VXLAN to communicate, also for my understanding, if the environment has physical server, bridging is required for communication between VXLAN and VLAN.

Need to find out of if NSX can use VLAN to cummunicate directly to VLAN without going through bridging or not? Or what's the best way for virtual server to physical server communication which are sitting in the same VLAN/Subnet?

Thanks for assistance.

Tags (3)
5 Replies
p0wertje
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

It depends.

if the virtual server connected to the vxlan and the server connected to the vlan are in the same subnet and you want to communicate, yes, you need a bridge. (layer2)

If the servers are in 2 different subnets, you do not need a bridge. You can route. (layer3)

A Distributed logical router or an edge can connect to vxlan and can connect to a vlan (distributed portgroup on a dvswitch).

Cheers,
p0wertje | VCIX6-NV | JNCIS-ENT | vExpert
Please kudo helpful posts and mark the thread as solved if solved
0 Kudos
Richard__R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

‌VLAN to VLAN is not something you would use NSX bridging for. What function do you actually want NSX to perform in your scenario? A VLAN-backed dvPortgroup would provide the basic connectivity in general vSphere networking terms...

sakthivelramali
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are u tiring in workstation ?

Thanks Sakthivel R
0 Kudos
tedg_vCrumbs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"VLAN to VLAN is not something you would use NSX bridging for. What function do you actually want NSX to perform in your scenario? A VLAN-backed dvPortgroup would provide the basic connectivity in general vSphere networking terms..."

I concur captain.

------ tedg Don't forget to mark posts as helpful or correct if they deserve it!
0 Kudos
VijaySendhur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If the virtual server connected to the vxlan and the server connected to the vlan are in the same subnet and you want to communicate, yes, you need a bridge. (layer2)

0 Kudos