VMware Networking Community
MZYENEK
Contributor
Contributor

Oracle rac cluster heartbeat network interface on NSX

Dears

currently we configure the cluster oracle rac on vmware vsphere 6.7 wtih nsx, DBA team sugest to configure the heartbeat network card on simple portgroupe because they have probleme with NSX microsegmentation, could you please help us to share the best practice oracle rac with nsx on the same site.

Best regards,

Karim

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nipanwar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i have seen environments running Oracle RAC HB network over NSX overlay segments. It is not an issue at all.

• For some environments we have kept it as dedicated isolated L2 segment to ensure no other VM can reach it. In NSX DFW this L2 segment is open (allow any any and apply to this segment only).
  • Some other have kept the network as routed but used NSX DFW to block unwanted access. A dedicated security group for Oracle RAC VMs is created and all traffic sourced and destined to security group is allowed, any other is blocked by implicit deny. (SG-Oracle to SG-Oracle -> Allow and apply to security group),

Overall in both scenarios there is no performance impact to Heartbeat network.

0 Kudos
MZYENEK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thank you so much for your feedback, I'll explain it to them and I will keep you informed if it works without problem.

Best regards,

0 Kudos