VMware Networking Community
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One arm load balancing

hi,

i am wanting to automate load balancing within NSX using VRA/VRO.

I have a ESG (firewall off) and then a DLR with distributed firewall etc

I have 3 vxlans web, app and db running on the DLR.

WEB 172.17.252.X

APP 172.17.253.X

DB 172.17.254.X

I assume i can just enable the load balancer, do i just then configure vips out of a pool of ip addresses not in use?  i am a little confused as to how the VIP ip address can be held on the ESG and then sill be part of the 172.17.252.X network to allow one arm load balancing.

any help with this much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lhoffer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

In the case of a one armed load balancing you'd actually be deploying a separate ESG in your 172.17.252.x subnet and the vNIC connected to that subnet is where your VIP will reside.  As a separate note, since NAT is required for one arm load balancing you'll need to enable the firewall on the ESG that you use for this.  There's a great overview of the different deployment methods in the VMware Documentation Library too.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lhoffer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

In the case of a one armed load balancing you'd actually be deploying a separate ESG in your 172.17.252.x subnet and the vNIC connected to that subnet is where your VIP will reside.  As a separate note, since NAT is required for one arm load balancing you'll need to enable the firewall on the ESG that you use for this.  There's a great overview of the different deployment methods in the VMware Documentation Library too.

0 Kudos