VMware Networking Community
SrVMwarer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

NSX-v Router OSPF

Hello Gurus,

I have a question regarding  the OSPF, why do we use protocol address within the the same subnet of the Forwarding address

Fwd address makes sense as it's DataPath module, and we configure router ID to be the transit interface towards the Edge router ... it's ok, But why do we should assign the protocol Address within the same subnet as the forwarding address it should form adjacencies using it's router-id ?

Is this correct?

Thanks in Advance for clarifications

CHEERS

Regards, İlyas
4 Replies
NicolasAlauzet

Hi there!

Protocol Address is used by the Control VM that its deployed with the DLR. That VM is in charge of managing the dinamic routing for the DLR.

The forwarding address is used by the lif itself!

• Forwarding Address:  an IP address that is to be used by the router datapath module in the hosts to forward data path packets.
  • Protocol Address:  a unique IP address within the same subnet as the forwarding address, is used by the OSPF process to form adjacencies with the peers (neighbors)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You have to remember that on NSX-v there are 2 different parts: the control VM which is the one that actually forms adjacency with the peers. The forwarding address is the DLR's IP, which is distributed on hosts.

SrVMwarer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks mauricioamorim & NicolasAlauzet

This makes sense, but I am still thinking why protocol address should within the same subnet is this how OSPF works, or this is by Design if OSPF NSX implementation if I remember correctly OSPF uilds adjacencies based on Router-id "If I remember correctly"

Thanks mates

CHEERS

Regards, İlyas
NicolasAlauzet

Yes, it does that, but you need conectivity in that layer to be able to build the adyacency.

Great that doubts are clarified. There are many NSX docuements and blogs that you can find really usefull.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
0 Kudos