VMware Networking Community
Richard__R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NSX-v Controller Snapshots

Hi - has anyone successfully taken and verified Controller snapshots under NSX-v 6.1?

I have tried doing this for each Controller via both the REST API and also the "Download Controller Snapshot" button in the Web Client GUI and I see the same "controller-id" and "controller-id" values for each of my snapshots when I take a look inside the files.

The IP and ID in each is always that of the first Controller that I have, rather than being for 2,3 etc respectively. It looks to me as if the snapshot function is just snapshotting the first Controller no matter what is inputted and the 3 snapshot backups I have look the same.

I haven't got a 6.0.x environment to test this in at the moment so not sure what the behaviour was under that. Non-critical snapshot scenario here but just just curious as to whether or not anyone knows if this is currently working.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Update: the information I received is that it's expected to see the same info in snapshots downloaded from different controllers, since it's a snapshot of a "controller cluster", which shares the same information across all controllers.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Haven't played around with this myself, but I wonder if this is because the cluster data that's shared between controllers is the same on all controllers..

0 Kudos
Richard__R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi - yes it's possibly by design but I'm just interested as when I snapshot using https://nsxManagerIP/api/2.0/vdn/controller/controller-id/snapshot I can see the same values in the resultant octet stream for controller-ip and controller-uuid in the header no matter which controller-id I am using in the call.

Also if I use the "Download Controller Snapshot" button in the Web Client I'm not sure if it relies on having created a snapshot beforehand using the API and literally just downloads an existing one or does both a new snapshot and downloads it for a specified controller. Regardless if I open up the files I can see the same kind of uniform header information as described above.

It's possible I'm totally misinterpreting it of course and at the moment I have no need to restore but am curious in the event of future scenarios. Thanks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Update: the information I received is that it's expected to see the same info in snapshots downloaded from different controllers, since it's a snapshot of a "controller cluster", which shares the same information across all controllers.

Richard__R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi - thanks for looking into this. I'm assuming that despite the fact they contain shared information we can still assume that a snapshot of each is needed due to the fact they're referenced by the corresponding controller-id in each case which implies some kind of uniqueness somewhere. Cheers

0 Kudos