VMware Networking Community
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

NSX over 1000v

Hi,

Got some problem finding exact answer to question "Can NSX work over 1000v".
From one side everybody say NSX over ACI works well, but 1000v is a part of ACI for VMware. From other side I see posts say 1000v must be removed from ESX to work with NSX.

What is the actual answer? Can NSX work with 1000v or not?

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
pljzielinski
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had the same question, of course I cant not find the answer, but if you want to use NSX, you should remove Nexus 1000V, because NSX operates on the vDS.

You really can use Nexus only to provide wire speed switching, because use two different platforms for a single overlay is pointless.

Regards.

0 Kudos
grosas
Community Manager
Community Manager

NSX also integrates with the distributed switch.  You would need to migrate off the Nexus 1000v to use NSX.

Twitter: gabe_rosas
0 Kudos
nikhilvmw
Contributor
Contributor

NSX will not work with the Cisco Nexus 1000v. VMware recommends migrating to the vSphere Distributed Switch in order to get all the benefits of Nexus 1000v. The migration can be simplified with the help of this migration tool referenced here - Migration Tool for N1KV to vDS |

Nikhil

0 Kudos
aliguo
Contributor
Contributor

HI Anton,

We currently have a deployment with NSX and started to research how to interact with ACI. Actually the best fit scenario for this model is to use ACI in the fabric layer, this would include your Cisco N9K/7K layer and from Fabric Interconnects (if you have some of them) or server layer you need to deploy plain vSphere using VMware distributed virtual switch (with NSX). IN this design you would have best of both worlds, ACI for fabric dataplane and NSX for VM dataplane.

Hope this helps, if you need more help please let me know!

0 Kudos
Javel1n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IT is posible to share what will your doing? its kind of interest to mix different kind of SDN

0 Kudos
YvesHertoghs
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Aliguo,

Why would you want to run an overlay across an overlay ? Sounds very complex, and pricey.

NSX doesn't need overlay functionality from the underlying fabric, just IP forwarding capability.

Ofcourse if they underlay can support VXLAN VTEPs, that can be beneficial in certain environments, for sure if those VTEPs can be controlled from a common controller i.e. NSX

Yves

0 Kudos
RaymundoEC
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

short answer NO.

explanation:

when you install N1KV in the hypervisor binaries are not compatibles with vDS so are mutually exclusive there for as a requirement for NSx you need VDS from VMware in order to get it working.

regards.

+vRay
0 Kudos