VMware Networking Community
ChrisB71
Contributor
Contributor

NSX multiple Vcenters servers recommended by Vmware

We have started the process of implementing NSX into a new environment, I am the one that built the new vsphere environment and i am being told by an NSX engineer that we need multiple virtual center servers to reduce the risk of a policy locking me out of virtual center.

The picture below was sent to me by vmware, and thats about all the info i have on the procedure.

Was curious if others are running multiple virtual center servers or just the one and creating a separate cluster for the NSX server environment. I was also told that we could just exclude the virtual center cluster from the DFW rules.

image003.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Chris,

Have you seen the design guide posted in the Documents section of this forum? Direct link: VMware® NSX for vSphere Network Virtualization Design Guide ver 2.1

There's no "hard and fast" rule for VC design, which will largely depend on what you're comfortable with.

We've seen many customers going with one VC managing a "Management" cluster, which provides comupte resources for the VC that manages it (along with other traditional bits and pieces management stack pieces), as well as for the VC for the NSX environment, and the NSX Manager itself.

Remember that anything that NSX Manager deploys (Controllers, Edges, Endpoint SVMs) is done via the VC that NSX Manager is linked to, so in scenario above these bits will be going into cluster(s) managed by the second VC.

HTH,

-- Dmitri

0 Kudos
RussH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Chris, to help prevent the issue occurring, you can exclude vCenter from the NSX DFW. On the NSX manager object, click manage then "exclusion list".

0 Kudos