VMware Networking Community
mldmld
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NSX for vSphere and Open source NSX comparison

Hi guys,

I start to study the various ways to virtualize network for my company.

I read NSX can run on ESXi and also on Xen and KVM as open source .

Where could I find a comparison between NSX for vSphere and the open source version of NSX ?

BTW, what is the link between NSX and OpenStack ?

Thanks

Marc

5 Replies
RussH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are two versions of NSX - NSX-V (optimised for vSphere), and NSX-MH (which is a continuation of the Nicira NVP). NSX-MH supports KVM, Open vSwitch etc which are, as you say, opensource - but NSX-MH is still obviously proprietary, closed source, code.

NSX-MH supports Openstack via the Neutron project for instantiation of networks that are then used in Openstack.

This website lists some of the other differences between NSX-V and NSX-MH (including the lack of a full statefull distributed firewall that you get with NSX-V).

http://www.virtualizationmatrix.com/pop-up.php?var2=VMware&var3=vSphere&var4=5.5&var5=Network%20Virt...

0 Kudos
yuyangwang
Contributor
Contributor

the nsx-mh does support the old version source code?or where can get the old version source code ?

thanks!

0 Kudos
ijiesm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

I'd like to know the difference between NSX for vSphere and It's Open Source version.

What i meant "open source" is not NSX-MH, the link for the product is here.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=NSXV_640_OSS&productId=417

Of course, NSX is proprietary, so information as far as VMware can tell is appreciated.

Many thanks,

Seiji

0 Kudos
smitmartijn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

The OpenSource bundle that is available on vmware.com is simply a collection of open source programs that have been used inside NSX. It's not the full NSX code, just the open source bits that have been used. For example, if you download the NSX for vSphere 6.4 OpenSource bundle, you get a tar with these contents:

NSX-vSphere-6_4_0-oss.png

Hope that answers your question.

ijiesm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi smitmartijn,

Yes, you answered to my question perfectly.

Thank you for the clear explanation.

Best,

Seiji

0 Kudos