VMware Networking Community
cloud_noob
Contributor
Contributor

NSX edge ID enumeration question

Hello all,

I am setting up NSX and I'm running into an odd issue where the enumeration of the distributed logical routers and edge services gateways that I create.  When I create new instances, the enumeration is off, presumably because of other instances I have previously deleted.  Is there a way to get NSX to restart the enumeration of the edge ID's so it stays in line with the other edge IDs?

Attached is a quick png showing this: 

4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

NSX will number Edges sequentially, and AFAIK will not reuse numbers that have been used previously but deleted. I don't know how far the numbering will go before eventually rolling over.

Also, there is no way for an operator to restart numbering that I know of.

It is worth remembering that NSX would normally be consumed by a higher-order system (like vRA), meaning that these implementation details are not exposed to system users.

0 Kudos
cloud_noob
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm,  NSX allows the automatic return of values to VXLANs when you destroy / create them, so I'm hoping that there is a way for the edge instantiations to do the same.  I'm attempting to write some of my own CMP specifics which is why I was hoping that NSX was going to return the values.  I am throwing around the idea of opening a ticket on this to see if this is solvable, it seems like it would be a pretty simple function.  Thanks for the response DmitriK

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If I was developing a CMP, I would grab the Edge ID returned by API call used to create it, and store it as a value in my internal CMP database entry that corresponds to CMP's internal presentation of the Edge object (See "Location" in "Response"):

Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 2.54.42 pm.png

In general, relying on consistency of external object numbering is not a very reliable method of tracking things.

cloud_noob
Contributor
Contributor

This is actually pretty helpful,  I was going to keep the simple CMP pieces in a handful of scripts utilizing curl but I think spinning up a db may actually be very beneficial here.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos