VMware Networking Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

NSX dvs nexus 1000v

how different is NSX from dvs or the nexus 1000v?

Will NSX allow me to span my subnet across multiple datacenters? 

why do I need nsx if I can use dvs or the nexus 1000v?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Joey_Welt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Neither the Nexus 1000v or VMware distrbuted switch allows you to span a layer 2 link between data centers.  Using these solutions you must create the layer 2 adjacency via the physical network.

NSX-v does allow to create one or more encapsulated layer 2 adjacent networks between hosts, clusters, and even data centers.  

0 Kudos
Richard__R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Additionally of course it allows you to take advantage of virtualised networking functions such as kernel-level distributed routing and firewalling. All of this can be automated programmatically using the REST API, providing rapid virtual network provisioning agility in cloud deployments. NSX-v requires the VDS so they are not mutually exclusive.

0 Kudos
RussH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not wishing to be pedantic, but it is possible to implement VXLAN across L3 subnets with the Nexus 1kv without NSX.

That said in my view, it's a rather primitive implementation of VXLAN with scalability limits, no L3,  lack of services, complex management and limited extensibility - all things you can achieve easily with NSX.

0 Kudos
xeyed4good
Contributor
Contributor

Are you referring to vxlan across datacenters? Im pretty sure that is not a suggest route at this time.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

what is difference with nexus 1000v and nsx?

0 Kudos
RussH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The 1000v (1kv) provides NX-OS like L2 switching functions (similar L2 functionality to the vSphere vDS. The 1kv and vDS is almost at feature parity at this point). The 1000v can also be configured to support VXLAN across L3 boundaries notwithstanding the limitations I described above.

What it doesn't do is any L3 (so no routing or LDR equiv), firewalls (unless you include the VSG), Load Balancing, VPN etc..

Other than the limited VXLAN support in the 1kv - it really isnt comparable to NSX.

Theres a good NSX introduction available on the HoL which is definitely worth exploring.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

is a doc on how to do vxlan across L3 on nexus 1k? does this involve changing physical network?

0 Kudos
RussH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here ya go: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-1000v-switch-vmware-vsphere/guide_c0...

Physical network requirements:

- Multicast

- Proxy-ARP

- MTU increase

0 Kudos