VMware Networking Community
MD1967
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NSX-V Multisite Migration

Hi all. I hope you can help me on this one.

We have a 2 site NSX-V setup and are looking to migrated to NSX-T pretty soon.  Unfortunately I am a bit stuck on the migration from multisite to NSX-T Federation. 

When i enable the migration co ordinator and point it towards the 2 x site NSX-V solution it fails as it is not a supported connection.  The NSX-V Manager needs to be standalone.  I have raised a change to set the manager to standalone and then ran the coordinator again, but it then said that it would not migrate the firewall settings as the appliances were not local and were universal.

Has anyone come up against this ? and more importantly how did you resolve the issue without dismantling the universal appliances.

I really want to copy the firewall settings from our NSX-V setup and get them into NSX-T. 

Thanks and all the best !

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aodelfosse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Definitely not an authority here, but I previously heard/read that universal objects were not supported.  I see that on the latest Migration documentation, it has this update in Cross vCenter NSX:

Starting in NSX-T 3.1.1, migration of a single site NSX for vSphere deployment that contains an NSX Manager in primary mode, no secondary NSX Managers, and with universal objects on the primary site, is supported

It seems like it it will now handle universal objects at the primary site, so maybe make sure they only exist there?  Otherwise, sounds like some manual migration for the secondary site objects may be required.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
aodelfosse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Definitely not an authority here, but I previously heard/read that universal objects were not supported.  I see that on the latest Migration documentation, it has this update in Cross vCenter NSX:

Starting in NSX-T 3.1.1, migration of a single site NSX for vSphere deployment that contains an NSX Manager in primary mode, no secondary NSX Managers, and with universal objects on the primary site, is supported

It seems like it it will now handle universal objects at the primary site, so maybe make sure they only exist there?  Otherwise, sounds like some manual migration for the secondary site objects may be required.

0 Kudos
MD1967
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Thank you for replying.  So yes. I can see that it does support 1 primary NSX Manager + Universal objects.  So in theory if I set the secondary NSX Manager to standalone and point the migration assistant at the primary manager it should work.

Lets try that. Thanks again

0 Kudos
MattV79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I would be interested to hear what you ultimately ended up doing, as we are in a similar situation. our second site has minimal VM'w running on it, as it is primarily an SRM target, but the NSX-V cluster is setup in primary and secondary currently in the event we did ever fail over.

Thanks

0 Kudos