VMware Networking Community
danyalhasnain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NSX-V ESG Deployment Failure

Hi everyone,

I have got the evaluation of copy of NSX-V 6.2.2 running on vsphere 5.5 for the testing purposes. I want to build the 3-Tier design in my environment.

So, for that i'm following the configurations which are done in NSX hosted Lab. But ESG not getting deployed. I'm connecting uplink of ESG with management port group within management vDS and internal interface with transit_SW (NSX Logical switch b/w ESG & DLR).

Every time I try to deploy it shows the error "Configuration failed on NSX EDGE vm". Since this error is not very descriptive so cannot interpret what's the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

regards

Danyal Hasnain

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cnrz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is the Vcenter - NSX Manager connection Status is Connected? --> This may be checked from the NSX Manager Web GUI > Manager Vcenter Registration Tab, and if refresh button sync should refresh to current time?

NSX Manager uses EAM (ESX Agent Manager)  installation of the VIBs during the Host Preparation. EAM is on the Vcenter, not sure but Deployment of the ESG .ova appliance is also be handled through  EAM as the VIB Modules, or through another process f on vCenter or VM Appliances, but if this Status shows as green, then for vCenters Point of view, it is deployment of an  ova virtual appliance. So this point may need troubleshooting.

Other Points to check that may be important:

DNS and NTP for NSX Manager, Vcenter and ESX Hosts,

Networking&Security > Installation > Host Preparation --> Is every part show as checked green?

Networking&Security > Installation > Host Preparation -->Actions  Communication Channel Health show all esx hosts checked  green?

http://www.virtually-limitless.com/nsx/nsx-6-2-communication-channel-health-check/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
cnrz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

NSX 6.2.2 is needs Vsphre 5.5 U3 or Vsphere 6.0U1, 6.0U2  versions.

What is the Common VDS for VTEP configuration on the Cluster that Edge VM resides? Is it the Management vDS, or a seperate VDS?

http://pubs.vmware.com/Release_Notes/en/nsx/6.2.2/releasenotes_nsx_vsphere_622.html

Recommended Versions and System Requirements

The table below lists recommended and required versions of VMware software. This information is current as of the publication date of this document. For the latest recommendations, please refer to VMware knowledge base article 2144295

Product or componentRecommended version
NSX for vSphere6.2.2
vSphere5.5U3, 6.0U1, or 6.0U2
Guest IntrospectionGuest Introspection-based features in NSX are compatible with specific VMware Tools (VMTools) versions. To enable the optional Thin Agent Network Introspection Driver component packaged with VMware Tools, you must upgrade to one of:
  • VMware Tools 5.1 P07 and later
  • VMware Tools 5.5 P04 and later
  • VMware Tools 6.0 P01 and later
  • VMware Tools 10.0 and later
vRealize OrchestratorNSX-vRO plugin 1.0.3
0 Kudos
danyalhasnain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Its the common Management vDS which includes

uplink port-group ( ESG uplink will be in this portgroup)

Management network port-group (contains NSX-Controllers, NSX Manager)

Web Tier Port-group (created automatically when build the switch Web-Tier in NSX)

APP Tier Port-group (created automatically when build the switch  APP-Tier in NSX)

DB Tier Port-group  (created automatically when build the switch DB-Tier in NSX)

VXLAN portgroup (created automatically when configured vxlan on hosts from NSX)

In each host the NIC of is in this vDS and there are two kernel interfaces (one is simple TCP/IP based and the other kernel adapter is vxlan stack based created automatically when configured vxlan on host from NSX.)

0 Kudos
cnrz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

System Requirements for NSX Edge is as below, are there enough resources on the host? Also is the cluster of  ESG host is prepared and shows Ready? (Networking &Security --> Installation Status)

https://pubs.vmware.com/NSX-6/index.jsp#com.vmware.nsx.install.doc/GUID-311BBB9F-32CC-4633-9F91-26A3...

Component

Minimum

Memory

NSX Manager: 12 GB

NSX Edge Compact: 512 MB, Large: 1 GB, X-Large: 8 GB, and Quad Large: 1 GB

vShield Endpoint: 1 GB

NSX Data Security: 512 MB

Disk Space

NSX Manager: 60 GB

NSX Edge Compact, Large, and Quad Large: 512 MB, X-Large: 4.5 GB (with 4 GB swap)

vShield Endpoint: 4GB

NSX Data Security: 6GB per ESX host

vCPU

NSX Manager: 4

NSX Edge Compact: 1, Large:2, Quad Large: 4, and X-Large:6

vShield Endpoint: 2

NSX Data Security: 1

0 Kudos
cnrz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So most probably Edge does not even get deployed as VM, For verification that it is not deployed:

Vcenter Hosts&Cluster show VM?

Does NSX Edge shows up Networking & Security - NSX Edges?

If Edge is deployed but not working as expected:

You can download technical support logs for each NSX Edge instance. If high availability is enabled for the NSX Edge instance, support logs from both NSX Edge virtual machines are downloaded.

Procedure

Click Networking & Security and then click NSX Edges.

Select an NSX Edge instance.

Click the More Actions (More Actions icon) icon and select Download Tech Support Logs.

After the tech support logs are generated, click Download.

In the Select location for download dialog box, browse to the directory where you want to save the log file.

Click Save.

Click Close.

0 Kudos
danyalhasnain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes. Enough resources are available on the host machine. even I tried to deploy ESG on different machines.

Secondly ESG didn't get deployed as VM. Whenever i try to deploy esg after all settings It shows 1 Installing and after some time it shows 1 failed and shows the error message which i mentioned earlier.

0 Kudos
cnrz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is the Vcenter - NSX Manager connection Status is Connected? --> This may be checked from the NSX Manager Web GUI > Manager Vcenter Registration Tab, and if refresh button sync should refresh to current time?

NSX Manager uses EAM (ESX Agent Manager)  installation of the VIBs during the Host Preparation. EAM is on the Vcenter, not sure but Deployment of the ESG .ova appliance is also be handled through  EAM as the VIB Modules, or through another process f on vCenter or VM Appliances, but if this Status shows as green, then for vCenters Point of view, it is deployment of an  ova virtual appliance. So this point may need troubleshooting.

Other Points to check that may be important:

DNS and NTP for NSX Manager, Vcenter and ESX Hosts,

Networking&Security > Installation > Host Preparation --> Is every part show as checked green?

Networking&Security > Installation > Host Preparation -->Actions  Communication Channel Health show all esx hosts checked  green?

http://www.virtually-limitless.com/nsx/nsx-6-2-communication-channel-health-check/

0 Kudos
danyalhasnain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Basically the issue was related to NTP. my time zone is UTC+5. On cisco router I configured timezone UTC with offset 5. But on NSX it was getting only UTC not the offset along with it.

So, in the list I manually picked up my country and time is now synced across all devices. ESG is successfully deployed.

0 Kudos