VMware Networking Community
jeffj2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NSX-T upgrade over several days, is it supported

In a Federated environment with 2 sites, is it supported to upgrade in 2 days like this.

Day 1: Site 1, which includes all edges, hypervisors, local manager cluster

Day2: Site2, which includes all edges, hypervisors, local manager cluster, And Active Global Manager, Standby Global Manager

We are going from v3.1.3.5 to v3.2.1

Thank you. We have been having issues opening tickets on our contract. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mario_Ayuga
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, did you finally upgrade your environment in 2 days?

Did you get any problem?

I'm planning to upgrade mine, doing half of edges and ESXi a day and the rest one or two weeks later and I can't find any related information.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
jeffj2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello. We did end up doing in 2 consecutive days exactly as I outlined. We had no issues, but we also were sure not to make any configuration changes during those 2 days, not even any DFW changes. 

When you say half your edges do you mean in the same cluster? I am not sure you did that. We have 2 sites and we did a complete site upgrade in 1 day, then the other site the other day. I am not sure this is really your situation. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Mario_Ayuga
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, yes, we have one cluster in two sites with extended networks, 36 Edges (26 in one site and 10 in other), 19 ESXi (11 and 8 respectively), and the 3 Management nodes (2 and 1).

We make an estimation of al least 30 hours to upgrade all the environment, because we have and added problem, we have DRS configured to manual and must move one by one the vms out because we are affected by this kb:

ESXi host fails with PSOD "#PF Exception 14 in world xxxx:nsx-cfgagent" during bulk vMotions in a NSX-T Environment (87352)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/87352

This is why we are thinking to upgrade in two different weekends.

0 Kudos
hemantgupta
Contributor
Contributor

Your deployment looks like multi-site deployment . Have you configured Failure domain for edges in different datacenter , its a recommend practise to follow . Incase of big NSX-T deployment upgrade can be done in multiple days .

Mario_Ayuga
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again. We finally upgrade our environment in a single window of 16 hours past week (we have planned about 24 hours, but all were ok and quickly than we expected).

0 Kudos