VMware Networking Community
Fanboyuuegl
Contributor
Contributor

NSX T: control plane

Hi,

I am using NSX T for a while but I still do not know how it works in the background.

it makes me uncomfortable by clicking on GUIs and nsx t makes everything working.

So NSX experts please help me to clarify something:

1. NSX-T is using Geneve as a overlay protocol, but after searching I found it is a pure overlay protocol.

while it seems NSX-T does not have any specific control protocol.

what I mean is Cisco is using evpn or lisp to sync mac address or arp details from vtep to controller.

but NSX-T just seems to have a tcp connection between LCP and CCP. So for each vmware host, there will be

a tcp connection to CCP(port 1345). won't it cause problem for the whole system, as too many tcp connections will

consumes CPU.

2. how is LCP update arp, mac and vtep details to CCP and vase versa.

for a new vm starting online, will LCP includes it mac address and IP address in one packet and update to ccp or in seperate

packets?

Is lcp updating to CCP frequently or it is triggered by a online VM or both. and what about CCP syncs its database to all other LCPs.

Regards

Michael

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The NSX controllers use the CCP/LCP connection to maintain and propagate forwarding tables on the ESXi hosts. It is not involved in replication of traffic, which is done using Unicast.

Take a look a this VMworld session, it should help: Landing page

0 Kudos
Fanboyuuegl
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks to you!

but what I really want to know is the detail for packets exchange between CCP and LCP.

for example, when a VM connect to the virtual switch on one hypervisor, what packet or packets LCP is going to forward to CCP. What is the packet encapsulation.

and when a VM is migratied from one ESXI to another ESXI, what the new LCP will do and how CCP will response.

For above details, I am able to find it for protocol LISP and EVPN.

but it seems VMWARE NSX T keeps it a secret.

Regards

Michael

0 Kudos