VMware Networking Community
anubisg1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NSX(-T) and VXLAN-EVPN

Hello,

my company is looking or the ability to build an hybrid fabric. In particular to have NSX as the virtual fabric and VXLAN-EVPN as the physical one.

The vision is to have NSX and EVPN control plane able to talk to each other in order to exchange reach-ability information and therefore be able to build an end to end VXLAN tunnel.

the goal is to have a VM to physical switch tunnel when i want to talk to the legacy environment or the rest of the world.

Ideally i would be able to i-BGP peer if everything in within my control or e-BGP if i am looking at some kind of DCI or 2 environments managed by different people.

i know NSX doesn't support EVPN.

- Does NSX-T support it?  If not, how can i solve my business requirement?

- is there any plan for vmware to support the industry standard EVPN control plane?

------------------------------------------ Andrea Florio - Senior Network Architect AT&T Brno - CCIE R&S #46985 CCNA Wireless and Security, CCNP Certified openSUSE Official Member (anubisg1) Email: andrea@opensuse.org Email: af973u@intl.att.com ------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DominicFoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, I have recently finished a project, where MP-BGP-EVPN was used in the underlay network, and VXLAN was terminated at the leaf switches.  We then had NSX performing VXLAN as the overlay.  As you rightly say, NSX-v does not have that capability, and we had to configure eBGP from NSX edges to the physical leaf switches.

As far as I am aware, NSX-T does not have this feature, but I will try to find out for you.  Of course, there are options around hardware VTEP's which will integrate with NSX, but I'm not sure this is the use-case you are looking for.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DominicFoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, I have recently finished a project, where MP-BGP-EVPN was used in the underlay network, and VXLAN was terminated at the leaf switches.  We then had NSX performing VXLAN as the overlay.  As you rightly say, NSX-v does not have that capability, and we had to configure eBGP from NSX edges to the physical leaf switches.

As far as I am aware, NSX-T does not have this feature, but I will try to find out for you.  Of course, there are options around hardware VTEP's which will integrate with NSX, but I'm not sure this is the use-case you are looking for.

0 Kudos