VMware Networking Community
ZAPP1
Contributor
Contributor

NSX-T and Tanzu design questions

Could someone please address the below queries ?

1. Can we run 2 different NSX instances (one for prod, one for TANZU) on same physical server but with different vCenter (one for prod, one for TANZU)? - What I mean is, we will have dedicated cluster with 7 hosts, running on production vCenter, and we will deploy 2 simultaneous instances of NSX (one for prod, one for TANZU) while only one NSX connects to this vCenter and the other NSX connects to TANZU vCenter

2. What is the recommendation on NSX and VDS for MGMT and Prod traffic, Do we need 2 different VDS (one for MGMT and one for VM traffic)?

3. Can we run TANZU workloads on the same physical server where NSX and vCetnere is running? What is the best practice if the environment has only have 3-4 servers for TANZU
0 Kudos
2 Replies
dragance
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello @ZAPP1 I can put my opinion on this - if I understand correctly - you will have 2 clusters (prod and tanzu) and each managed with its own vCenter and own NSX setup right? Based on that assumption:

1. Can we run 2 different NSX instances (one for prod, one for TANZU) on same physical server but with different vCenter (one for prod, one for TANZU)? - What I mean is, we will have dedicated cluster with 7 hosts, running on production vCenter, and we will deploy 2 simultaneous instances of NSX (one for prod, one for TANZU) while only one NSX connects to this vCenter and the other NSX connects to TANZU vCenter - how will you manage same physical server with different vCenter? you can create transport node only from 1 NSX mgmt instance

1. What is the recommendation on NSX and VDS for MGMT and Prod traffic, Do we need 2 different VDS (one for MGMT and one for VM traffic)? - you can separate them but personally I would go with vSS/vDS combination if separating, and 1 vDS if not separating

1. Can we run TANZU workloads on the same physical server where NSX and vCetnere is running? What is the best practice if the environment has only have 3-4 servers for TANZU - yes, you can have consolidated setup for sure

BR,

Dragan

mkeshsundrani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello, 

below is my thought on this

1. from 7 host cluster, see if you able to make one separate cluster for each vcenter of 2-3 nodes ( here you dont prepare this cluster for nsx), other cluster for 4-5 nodes can be prepared. This design helps to isolate mgmt traffic, also vcenters run on VDS-VLAN, hence can be separately used for separate nsx-t instances also.

2. Tanzu itself runs on its owned resource pools so this should be fine.

3. VDS you can use 1 also in this case as u will create separate cluster just for mgmt VMs which are not prepared for nsx.

0 Kudos