VMware Networking Community
Clayton940
Contributor
Contributor

NSX-T and GENEVE

Hey Folks,

Wondering if you can help me out with a problem. I have a NSX-T 2.4 environment with 3 transport nodes and 3 different segements. The problem I have is I can not ping across hosts in the Transport Overlay Zone to VM's in the same segment. When I look at the Transport Node the Tunnel is down but on the EDGE devices the tunnel is up. My suspicion is and I want to know how I can validate it is that the NIC doesn't support GENEVE offloading and I want to confirm that GENEVE offloading support is required at the NIC level.

TIA!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

GENEVE offloading is not required for the tunnel to come up. More than likely your MTU is not set high enough on the transport zone. It should be 1700 minimally and ideally much higher.

0 Kudos
Clayton940
Contributor
Contributor

my MTU is at 1600 I increased to 1700 and the tunnel still doesn't come up. When I do a vmkping I get a message too long

This is on a UCS B-Class system and I have verified the MTU on the FI.

TIA!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Please show your vmkping command and the output.

0 Kudos
Clayton940
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the output with a 1600 MTU defined I get the same result with a 1700

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
Clayton940
Contributor
Contributor

I found the issue. A logical network change was needed for the transport node vlan. Once that was done everything started to come up and communication started to flow.

Thx for the assistance!

0 Kudos
CMilletinisever
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Clayton,

May i ask what you have done to solve this issue, i have the same problem.

Also how should be the DPDK fastpath interface configuration ?

0 Kudos
Clayton940
Contributor
Contributor

My issue were two:

1 - After I validated my MTU I started checking the logical config on the network

2 - I found that on the network all my uplinks to my FI (Running CISCO UCS) had all VLANs trunked

3 - Looking at the UCS I found that on the FI that my N-VDS Uplink did not have the transport VLAN applied to it

4 - I updated my Profile for the transport to include a transport VLAN as the default is 0 which is usually the native VLAN.

FastPath normally is supposed to be configured like this:

fp-eth0 - Overlay Network

fp-eth1 thru 2 - VLAN Network

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos