VMware Networking Community
PacoR
Contributor
Contributor

NSX-T and DHCP

Hello everyone,

I've worked with NSX-V for some years and now we're looking to migrate to NSX-T.

After playing around a little with it I faced some weird behaviours when working with Edge services.

For instance the DHCP service.

When creating a DHCP server, I must provide an IP address. But I understand that this address can't be part of any of the segments connected to my T1 because it "overlaps" (although it doesn't). So am I supposed to just invent a new network only for assigning an IP to the service?

Also, how come I'm not allowed to delete DHCP ranges from segments or remove the dhcp server assignment in the T1? Is there a logical explanation for it?

So far we still have production running on V and this and some other details we've come across are discouraging moving to T. It sometimes has a feeling of "not production ready" or a "work in progress".

Thank you very much for your time.

Tags (1)
2 Replies
PacoR
Contributor
Contributor

Extract from https://www.spillthensxt.com/troubleshooting-dhcp-in-nsx-t/

"Once an IP Address Management type, say DHCP Server or DHCP Relay has been applied to a Tier-1 Gateway, it can’t be changed. This means you need to plan the DHCP setup carefully in advance before deployment, or you’re going to need to delete and then redeploy the Tier-1 Gateway."

Here's what I'm talking about: how come I need to delete and recreate a full gateway (causing downtime) just to remove the DHCP server?

Extract from https://www.spillthensxt.com/dhcp-server-configuration-in-nsx-t/

"The Local DHCP Server IP does not need to belong to IP address space assigned to a Segment Subnet"

A minor correction here is "The Local DHCP Server IP MUST NOT belong to IP address space assigned to a Segment Subnet"

Therefore I need to create another network just to assign an IP to the service?

Because of that and some other points we decided to stick to NSX-V for a while, at least until NSX-T becomes somewhat usable or NSX-V EOS (whatever comes first).

Thank you everyone for your time.

0 Kudos