VMware Networking Community
AbdulBasitKhan
Contributor
Contributor

NSX-T Upgrade from v3.2.1 to 4.0.0.1 vDS PortGroups are down

Hi,

I am preparing my environment to have NSX-T 4.0.1 up and running, 

Upgradation history is v3.0 --> 3.0.1 --> 3.1.0 --> 3.2.1 --> 4.0.0.1

Everything was going smooth, having some issues but fixed on time to time basis, now i am stuck after host upgradation, 

Edges Upgraded Successfully, Host Upgraded Successfully (2 are upgraded and 2 are still in v3.2.1). Right after ESXI Upgraded to v4.0.0.1 i faced some strange issue, all vms that were connected to vDS VLAN Portgroup are down, it looks like no vm can remain attached to vDS Port group which definitely disconnected the Edges for TEP Tunnels and Uplinks, as Edges utilize the vDS Port Groups for Tunneling and Management.

in vDS both upgraded Hosts shows that its Out of Sync and none of the PortGroup is working but my vSAN Portgroup is also on same vDS which is working flawlessly and no error observed in terms of vSAN Cluster Health, only VM Communication is down and still i have no idea how to fix it.

any help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AbdulBasitKhan
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, i think so. however i am trying to fix the brick applying config from this article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/80399 

0 Kudos
mackov83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you manage to resolve this one? I was contemplating an upgrade, but since I saw this I will hold off!

I am currently on 3.2.1 and now also see that 3.2.1.1 is also released, maybe that's a safer option?

0 Kudos
AbdulBasitKhan
Contributor
Contributor

I have managed to upgrade to version 4.0.0.1 it really gave me very hard time specially the vDS out of Sync issne, so alternatively i used vSwitch and created the same port groups with respective vlans ids, migrate edges to vswitch and perform upgrade again, then it keeps updating and failing but after several tries, i was able to upgrade all edges and Hosts now in final stage of upgrading the managers, once hosts gets upgraded the old vDS port groups does not work for me so i created new portgroups with same vlan ids and accodiate the edges/vms with it and its working fine, however existing portgroups still gave me error when a vm is connected to it.

0 Kudos
AbdulBasitKhan
Contributor
Contributor

AbdulBasitKhan_0-1662558242569.png

AbdulBasitKhan_1-1662558276401.png

vDS still showing out of sync

AbdulBasitKhan_2-1662558409882.png

AbdulBasitKhan_3-1662558459682.png

0 Kudos
AbdulBasitKhan
Contributor
Contributor

Finally upgraded to v 4.0.0.1 Successfully.

AbdulBasitKhan_0-1662558552179.png

AbdulBasitKhan_2-1662558600525.png

0 Kudos
mkonopnicki
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi,

I have the same issue in my lab and I wonder if we have any similarities in our setup.

I'm running DL360 G8 and DL380 g8 with vSphere 7u3.

I have the same issue on both server models although they have different NICs (QLogic and Intel) which I guess rules out NIC driver.

I'm running single VDS on all of them,

I'm wondering if the issue might be caused by vendor-specific VIBs as I've seen something similar with HPE in the past.

Do you run HPE G8s by any chance?

0 Kudos
mkonopnicki
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hope it helps someone.

This issue is caused by disabling IPv6 on ESXi and then installing/upgrading to NSX 4.0.0.1 with IPFIX enabled on VDS.

If you enable IPv6 prior to install/upgrade it should work fine.

0 Kudos