VMware Networking Community
michaele6
Contributor
Contributor

NSX-T Transport zone error

Hi  

I am trying to build an ESX lab and managed to get to a point where i installed the edge node , but the configuration state is in  a pending state  and  when i edit the option I see a GUID for Uplink profile "cf324632-1d0b-11e8-b322-6f20be6de3bc" and on the drop down option i don't see any any available  uplink profile option , and when i create a new uplink option using "create new uplink profile" i get the following error

"You have successfully created a new profile but it is not applicable to this N-VDS."

I am sure I am missing something here, can someone provide some assistance 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
engyak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

This is usually due to a mismatch of interfaces and uplink profiles, can you take a snip of your ETN configuration?

Here are some examples if it helps:

engyak_0-1636219834400.png

engyak_1-1636219897144.png

0 Kudos
michaele6
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

thanks for the quick reply, i am using the default uplink profile when setting up the edge switch (defaultuplink.jpg) , on completion when i look at the edge switch i see that profile is being replaced with the guid (edgeprofile.jpg) and on the dropdown i don't see any uplink options, and when i create a new uplink profile i see the error (adduplink.jpg)

0 Kudos
engyak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Aha! Create an underlay transport zone and add it to the edge. You can't have physical uplink interfaces without assigning them to a underlay TZ.

0 Kudos
michaele6
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

not sure where and how you would create an underlay TZ, i have created an overlay TZ, or is that what you are referring to ?

0 Kudos
engyak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

engyak_0-1636393998565.png

This is probably the easiest view to do it under, or System -> Fabric -> Transport Zones

0 Kudos
tckoon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Michael6,

I faced the same issue, how you solve this problem.

During create the Edge transport node , the uplink profile have only 2 default edge uplink profile can chosse from.

a) nsx-edge-multiple-vteps-uplink-profile

b) nsx-edge-single-nic-uplink-profile

In my lab setup the VTEP uplink is not VLAN 0 , my is VLAN 100.

I cant change it on default edge uplink profile. So I create new one on profile , but it never show in the uplink selection.

I click  "OR Create New Uplink Profile"  create the uplik profile , when I  click add button.

Warning message appeared : You have successfully created a new profile but it is not applicable to this N-VDS.

Thanks

0 Kudos
tckoon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi all,

I watched the NRDY_TECH youtube channel  - NSX-T 3.0 from Scratch (Pt. 11): Edge Deployment Pt 2.

The uplink profile create for the edge, the teaming policy  have to select as "Load Balance Source" , not default "Failover Order"

After I changed my manual created uplink profile (lab-nsx-edge-dual-uplink-v100-profile)  to "Load Balance Source" , then the uplink profile appear in the Edge Transport  Node uplink selection.

Can someone help to explain in detail the reason ?

Or  share any VMware offical url link.

Thanks !

tckoon_0-1652333224987.png

tckoon_1-1652333495703.png

0 Kudos
engyak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello tckoon,

Those are two separate settings - hashing method and failover order. Some of the settings under the uplink profile are applicable to host nodes or bare Linux VMs.

For an Edge transport node, you have both the hashing method and failover capabilities. Here's how you'd do it in a vDS:

engyak_1-1652540551347.png

It's not recommended to do A/P uplinks like that *inside* the VM, to get specific interface pinning I create two port groups like the above, with inverted uplinks, e.g. uplink 2 active, 1 standby on the second port group. Here's how to do dual VTEPS:

engyak_2-1652540742929.png

To do what you want, simply edit the "load balance" profile in your image and move uplink-2 to "Standby Uplinks"

0 Kudos