VMware Networking Community
Petersaints
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NSX-T Multi-site with SRM

Hello all,

Anyone using that solution and want to share?

I need to deploy that solution between two Datacenters. I will have the management network stretched.  I have two doubts:

1  - About Dataplane, if i have Active/Standby T0s,  edge1 and edge2 on site A and edge3 and edge4 on site B, what happens when for some reason edge 1 is down or in maintenance? Traffic will flow through edge2 or will flow through Site B?

2 - I'm using VRF lite to separate my customers. If for some reason one customer (not all of them or a total failure scenario) wanted to test or run on a disaster recovery mode, will it be possible to run customer workloads on site B and all the other customers on site A?

Thanks.

Regards.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello @Petersaints,

Basically NSX-T on Multisite topology can use Locality to identify from which side the traffic will go through and once that is configured on the different T0, the forwarding of the routes will be always be over the site which has the highers Location (Primary and then Secondary).

In the first point you mentioned, as edge1 and edge2 would be part of the same site, if you use locality, then the failover will happen as the Active-Standby happens in the same site and the routes will keep flowing over the same site.

Regarding the second one, I cannot give you the proper answer, but what I guess it would happen is that after you move the workloads to the Site B, as the Primary location is still active, then the forwarding will keep flowing to the primary datacenter.

This is basically because, so far, in Federation, Local Egress cannot be configured and because of that, it always uses locality. Of course this explanation applies to Stretched Networks.

Give it a look at the next post from one of the folks of the community that has a practical use case and is extremely well explained: https://vxplanet.com/2021/04/22/nsx-t-federation-part-2-stretched-a-s-tier-0-gateway-with-location-p...

0 Kudos