VMware Networking Community
Myanix
Contributor
Contributor

NSX-T License Require Upgrade and Put Host in MM

Hi,

Recently our NSX-T 3.2.1 license is expired, then we choose to buy again. We just noticed that the old SKU is no more (NSX DC Enterprise Plus), change to new SKU (NSX-T Enterprise Plus). The problem is the new license can't be installed on 3.2.1. I have open case with license support, they say minimum version is 3.1.3.1 to install the license..

OMG, we need to upgrade to 3.1.3.1 or above just to inject the new license. Does someone have some problem ? Is there anyway out without upgrade ?

Also when i try to learn about "how to upgrade NSX-T", the guide say you must put host on Maintenance Mode and the host need to be restarted. OMG ! 

If upgrade is the only way out ? is there anyway to minimize downtime / without put host in MM ??

If anyone have experience please shar in the comment. So much effort just to install the license 😭

Thanks,

MY

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
dragance
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello @Myanix - if you received answer from VMW support stating which version you must be to successfully install that license - I think it's the only correct way to take. Regarding upgrade of NSX infrastructure it's always pretty much straight forward process (edges/ESXi nodes/NSX controllers) and yes - hosts needs to be in MM mode for this to happen. If you have HA/DRS cluster this operation is without any impact on your environment and upgrade daemon will move all VM's around until it finishes whole NSX upgrade.

HTH,

Dragan

0 Kudos
Myanix
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dragan,

Yes, thats why i post this if anyone have similar experience. Because our vSAN cluster is nearly full. When one host in MM, it can't move properly. If we do it manually, it is a very big effort just for install nsx license..

0 Kudos
dragance
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I see your point - but I think you should find a way to go with support recommendation definitely. There were changes for licensing engine inside NSX and that's the reason you need this upgrade.

BR,

Dragan

Myanix
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dragan,

The support insists on "Maintenance Mode", he was very rigid and didn't even read the document that he send to us. He keeps saying there is no "In-Place" Mode, only "maintenance Mode". But actually the "In-Place" mode is there on the document. That's why we are quite disappointed with the TAC support.

Last Friday, we decided to upgrade our NSX-T to 3.1.3.8 with "In-Place" mode. We didn't need to go to Maintenance Mode and vMotion our VMs. We make sure we don't have limitation on "In-Place" mode and make sure our vSAN is green. and we successfully upgrade without downtime and able to install the new license.

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. 

Regards,

M. Yanuar

0 Kudos