VMware Networking Community
rahimabbasi
Contributor
Contributor

NSX-T Edges logical routers

I have 4 NSX-T edges in my environment in a single cluster and when I click on "Edge Transport Nodes" I see my first 2 edge nodes shows 2 logical routers as T0 and T1 created but the other 2 edges just show 1 logical router as T0 why they are not showing T1 when I have mentioned Edge clusters when creating T0 and T1 Gateways?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JaSo2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From your description I guess you have your T0 in Active-Active mode, while T1 in Active-Standby (by design)? NSX version is?

0 Kudos
rahimabbasi
Contributor
Contributor

I am running NSX-T version 3.1 and yes T0 is active active but there is no place to set HA mode in T1 gateways therefore it doesn't show any active/active or active/standby state for T1.

Why my first 2 edge nodes are showing 2 logical routers whereas last 2 with only 1 logical router but all 4 are in same cluster.

My Edges are deployed as VM and I have multi-cluster (4) workload in my vSphere.

My first 2 edges are deployed in first workload cluster and 3rd edge is deployed in workload 3 cluster and 4th edge is deployed in workload 4 cluster. We are using single transport zone for all my workload clusters so basically it is one NSX-T environment. 

Edges deployed in same cluster is showing 2 (T0 and T1) logical routers and others only 1 (T0)

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@rahimabbasi,

I understood that you are using 4 NSX-T Edges in VM form and that they are running in Active-Active mode, however the T1 unless you specify, they will run by default in Active-Standby mode.

Let me ask you, are you using Locations in T0 or T1?

0 Kudos
ShahabKhan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

T1 can only be deployed in active/standby mode. Therefore they are showing on 2 of the edge nodes. Whereas T0 can be deployed either in active/active or active/standby mode. In your case, you have deployed T0 in active/active mode, which is why T0 is showing on all 4 Edge Nodes.

I hope that answers your question.

Regards

0 Kudos
rahimabbasi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Shadab for the reply. I understand that and it does make sense as well.

I am just wondering as T1 is deployed as active/standby by default then why it is showing on first 2 edges why not in just 1 egde and all other 3 as standby? 

Is it kind of default by design that if you deploy 4 edge nodes then first 2 will show T0 and T1 both and last 2 will just show T0?

Because when I check the routing table in all edge nodes, it is same and also shows T1 connected segments in last 2 edges. 

I have another 2 edge cluster for my management and it is active/active T0 as well but when I check edge nodes in that then it shows my both logical routers(T0 and T1) in both edge nodes. In this scenario also it should only show one edge as both logical routers and other edge as only T0 logical router but it shows both logical routers in both edges why?

0 Kudos