VMware Networking Community
nebb2k8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NSX-T EVPN - vRouter Requirement?

I am investigating the option for deploying NSX-T with EVPN. Looking at the documentation it talks about "vRouter-related configuration" here - https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-NSX-T-Data-Center/3.1/administration/GUID-D8186088-6C8F-4553-B859-...

What is this? I have found multi setup guides online. Nothing refers to this componet. It even says its a "Configuration Prerequisites - Virtual Router (vRouter) deployed on VMware ESXi hypervisor"

Is this something I have to manually deploy and configure? Or an embedded componet in NSX-T? It's a prerequisite?

So confused...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nmichelnsbu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi !

vRouter is a VNF that is hosted on the hypervisor and is required only for route server mode which is specific to service provider and networks that have a huge amount of N-S traffic.

For traditional EVPN implementation, we do recommend to use the inline mode which does not use a v-Router.

Hope it helps

Nicolas

0 Kudos
nebb2k8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Nicolas

Thanks for the response. So when using route server mode, is the vRouter handled automatically in the background? As the documentation suggests its a VM I attach to a segment.

Deploy a vRouter VM on vSphere.
Create a vRouter overlay segment (VR segment). Attach vRouter to the VR segment.
Configure the VR segment. Under Advanced Settings, select an EVPN tenant. The VR segment and EVPN tenant must be in the same overlay transport zone.

I think I need to understand the main differences between Inline and Route server

0 Kudos
nmichelnsbu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Route Server:

1. Control Plane :
    1. BGP Peering between the VNF and the NSX-T Edge
    2. BGP Peering between the NSX-T Edge and the DC Gateways
  2. Datapath:
    1. Traffic is sent between the VNF and the DC Gateway directly.

Inline Mode :

1. Control Plane :
    1. BGP Peering between the NSX-T Edge and the DC Gateways
  2. Datapath:
    1. Traffic is sent between the NSX-T Edge and the DC Gateways

Route Server mode is very specific to very large service provider networks. a VNF must be installed on each hypervisor and manage the BGP peering with the NSX-T Edge.

For Enterprise network, we do recommend to use inline mode.

Thanks

Nicolas

0 Kudos