VMware Networking Community
jamiestarr66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NSX-T 3.0 Edge VM Deployment error

Folks

Having trouble deploying a Edge VM from the UI

Per the images below all entries are entered correctly, I am deploying a Edge VMs on a single NVDS

When I finish I get the error shown in the image below:

Field server validation errors'

node_deployment_info.deployment_config.vn.deployment_config_data_network_ids

has exceeded maximum size 3) Error code 255

I am totally stumped, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Taking a look at the Design documents from the official course, the recommended configuration in this case is using the next:

• 1 Management Portgroup with two vmnics (Active-Standby) - vNIC0 of the Edge VM Node.
  • 1 Trunk Portgroup for uplink with one vmnic connected to ToR 1 for single VLAN connectivity N-S - vNIC1 of the Edge VM Node
  • 1 Trunk Portgroup for uplink with one vmnic connected to ToR 2 for single VLAN connectivity N-S - vNIC2 of the Edge VM Node
  • 1 TEP Portgroup for Overlay with two vmnics (Active-Standby)- vNIC3 of the Edge VM Node

This type of design is recommended not for an single Edge Node but for two Edge Nodes where the second one has exact the same connectivity but it connects to another TEP Portgroup using the Active-Standby order on the opposite as the first Edge Node.

Screenshot_5.png

Or you can choose for using dedicated uplinks for the Edge VM Nodes but as you have everything collapsed I do not think is what you need:

pastedImage_2.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey jamiestarr66​,

To be honest I could not find the solution for your issue but something off topic, I recommend you to use a single N-VDS attached to a single vNIC in only one Transport Zone as per the recommended design by VMware. The expected configuration would be having one vNIC for Management, one for Overlay and at least one for Uplink connectivity.

Screenshot_4.png

However could you please give us more insight about your configured Uplink profile?

0 Kudos
bayupw
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Jamie,

I can see that you've configured 4 uplinks.

You would only have up to 3 uplinks for the DPDK Fastpath Interfaces  to be configured on that UI (vNIC2:fp-eth0, vNIC3:fp-eth1, vNIC:4fp-eth2)

That's probably why the error message says: has exceeded maximum size 3

With single vDS/N-VDS and multi-TEP, you would probably have something like below

vNIC4 will be unused or used for bridging in below sample diagram

pastedImage_0.png

Bayu Wibowo | VCIX6-DCV/NV
Author of VMware NSX Cookbook http://bit.ly/NSXCookbook
https://github.com/bayupw/PowerNSX-Scripts
https://nz.linkedin.com/in/bayupw | twitter @bayupw
0 Kudos
jamiestarr66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Lalegre and Bayu

Thank you for responding to my posts...

Here is what we will like to to do:

I have a 4 node collapsed mgmt/edge cluster with 4 pnics shown in the diagram below

Screenshot 2020-10-11 185313.png

I have 3 port groups created on the vDS

dvpg-TEP1 (active/active)  - vmnic4/uplink 1

vmnic5/uplink 2

dvpg-UL1                              vmnic6/uplink 3

dvpg-UL2                              vmnic7/uplink 4

So I am using the default teaming policy "Load Balance Src" for Uplink 1, Uplink 2

Created 2 named teaming policies for the individual uplinks for external traffic (please reference image below)

Screenshot 2020-10-12 113812 - 2.png

And of course when I try to deploy the Edge VM I get the following error

Based on the design guide this can be done with a Bare metal Edge per the image below

Screenshot 2020-10-12 113812 - 3.png

So the sticking point for my deployment is dvpg_TEP-1, that port group has 2 nics/uplinks 1,2. So using the default

teaming with load balance source and having 2 active uplinks is causing the Edge VM failure.

So can someone confirm with a VM form Edge VM, it may not be possible to deploy with a single N-VDS  with 4 physical nics but with multiple N-VDS like in 2.4

Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Taking a look at the Design documents from the official course, the recommended configuration in this case is using the next:

• 1 Management Portgroup with two vmnics (Active-Standby) - vNIC0 of the Edge VM Node.
  • 1 Trunk Portgroup for uplink with one vmnic connected to ToR 1 for single VLAN connectivity N-S - vNIC1 of the Edge VM Node
  • 1 Trunk Portgroup for uplink with one vmnic connected to ToR 2 for single VLAN connectivity N-S - vNIC2 of the Edge VM Node
  • 1 TEP Portgroup for Overlay with two vmnics (Active-Standby)- vNIC3 of the Edge VM Node

This type of design is recommended not for an single Edge Node but for two Edge Nodes where the second one has exact the same connectivity but it connects to another TEP Portgroup using the Active-Standby order on the opposite as the first Edge Node.

Screenshot_5.png

Or you can choose for using dedicated uplinks for the Edge VM Nodes but as you have everything collapsed I do not think is what you need:

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
jamiestarr66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks guys

I adjusted my uplink profile to reflect 1 uplink and I was able to deploy the edges..

bayupw
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Jamie,

As mentioned previously, you can only configure 3 uplinks

uplink 1 for fp-eth0

uplink 2 for fp-eth1

uplink 3 for fp-eth2

just to comment on this, you can also do multi-TEP, then for VLAN uplink, Edge01 goes to UL-1 and Edge02 goes to UL-2

you previous screenshot shows 4 uplinks which would fail as you can only config max 3

configuring 1 uplink would be successful and you can reconfig after Edge is deployed

Bayu Wibowo | VCIX6-DCV/NV
Author of VMware NSX Cookbook http://bit.ly/NSXCookbook
https://github.com/bayupw/PowerNSX-Scripts
https://nz.linkedin.com/in/bayupw | twitter @bayupw
0 Kudos