VMware Networking Community
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

NSX-T / 2 pnic / Edge Deployment

I'm hoping someone can provide some help with this issue. I've deployed an NSX-T manager cluster on to hosts that have only 2 physical nics. I've migrated all vmkernels over to switches/ segments on the single N-VDS that has been deployed without too many issues.

I'm now trying to deploy an Edge VM on top of the N-VDS following the steps in this video:

Demo: NSX-T Data Center Edge VM deployment on N-VDS Logical switches - YouTube

I can't get this to deploy cleanly at all. If I try leveraging the deployment via postman, I get the following error:

"[Fabric] Network interface '6f675985-3259-4ed2-b7e2-57ddf5d6ec29' is either an overlay logical switch or in an unaccessible Transport zone. Only accessible VLAN logical switches are supported."

If I deploy manually via the edge ova and register the node against the management plane, it goes through, but on the nodes page I have the following under configuration status:

"Edge VM hardware or Underlying Host configuration is not supported"

In terms of the setup I have the following:

Transport Zones:

1. tz-overlay (n-vds1)

2. tz-vlan (n-vds1)

3. tz-edge-uplink1 (n-vds2) <-- Has a status of unknown

4. tz-edge-uplink2 (n-vds3)<-- Has a status of unknown

Segments:

1. Management-LS (tz-vlan) (ESXi TEP IP also on this vlan)

2. Edge-Transport-LS (tz-vlan) (EDGE TEP here - defined different vlan)

3. Edge-Uplink01-LS (tz-vlan)

4. Edge-Uplink02-LS (tz-vlan)

5. Edge-W-Uplink01-LS (tz-edge-uplink1)

6. Edge-W-Uplink02-LS (tz-edge-uplink2)

For the OVA I select the following:

1. nic 0 - Management-LS

2. nic1 - Edge-Transport-LS

3. nic2 - Edge-Uplink01-LS

4. nic3 - Edge-Uplink02-LS

As mentioned earlier, via OVA the node deploys and I can join it to the management plane, but I get the message highlighted above. If ignore this and try to configure it as a transport node, after I've configured the various n-vds settings, I get an additional error about the edge pnics not being prepared (I've deleted the edge node, so can't remember the exact error).

The error I get from the API call doesn't really help - the referenced network is already in use by the ESXi hosts and looks absolutely fine. Can anyone please advise on what could be the issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That error from the edges means that the AES CPU instruction set is not available, which is required for edge functionality. You probably have EVC set to a level lower than that which is required (Westmere).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Further update, I can see the following error when I ssh to the Edge VM:

NSX Edge configuration has failed. The host does not support required cpu features: ['aes']

According to documentation, the solution here is to restart the datapth service (dataplane?) and reboot the appliance.

If I stop the datapath service, it won't start again. Still stuck, but edging closer.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That error from the edges means that the AES CPU instruction set is not available, which is required for edge functionality. You probably have EVC set to a level lower than that which is required (Westmere).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You were 100% spot on - EVC enabled to facilitate migration from old cluster.

Removed it and the edge deployed without any issues. Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

0 Kudos