VMware Networking Community
vmsysadmin20111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NSX-T 2.5 Edge node VM connectivity with N-VDS

Hi all,

NSX-T Reference Design Guide Version 2.0.pdf talks about a new design in 2.5 - single N-VDS multi-TEP Edge setup (page 167). In the diagram provided in that section (also below), the Edge TEP traffic and Edge BGP uplinks are sharing the same segments (Trunked LS1 and Trunked LS2). This, however, does not appear to be working in practice.

Edge TEP traffic can pass through the trunk because you specify the Transport VLAN in the Edge uplink profile and the TEP traffic is tagged. But it appears that there is no option to tag the BGP traffic, so it cannot pass through the trunked logical segment. The only way to make this work is to have two additional logical segments just for the BGP uplinks (not trunked) and add VLAN tags there. Am I missing something obvious here or the diagram is not correct?

pastedImage_0.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
harikrishnant
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi vmsysadmin201110141

The TEP tagging for the Edge NVDS is applied by the Uplink Profile. The tagging for the T0 Uplinks is applied at the Logical Switch level. You might require two VLAN Backed Logical Switches tagged with the respective peering  VLANs on the VLAN Transport Zones on which the Edge nodes are a part of.

May be this could help?

https://vxplanet.com/2019/10/22/nsx-t-single-nvds-multi-tep-edge-vm-deployment-configuration-on-host...

Thanks

Hari

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
harikrishnant
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi vmsysadmin201110141

The TEP tagging for the Edge NVDS is applied by the Uplink Profile. The tagging for the T0 Uplinks is applied at the Logical Switch level. You might require two VLAN Backed Logical Switches tagged with the respective peering  VLANs on the VLAN Transport Zones on which the Edge nodes are a part of.

May be this could help?

https://vxplanet.com/2019/10/22/nsx-t-single-nvds-multi-tep-edge-vm-deployment-configuration-on-host...

Thanks

Hari

0 Kudos
vmsysadmin20111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Hari,

thank you for your note! I was actually looking at your blog - very informative!

I believe you're correct - additional logical switches (or segments, as they now call it) are required for T0 uplinks in order for the VLAN tag to be added to the north-south traffic from the Edge. And in fact in your setup you have 4 additional segments for T0 uplink on the second VLAN Transport zone.

I think my beef with the diagram is that it's misleading and incomplete, since it does not show the segments that are required for the T0 uplinks, and it does not show the additional VLAN transport zone that is required for the Edge transport nodes. Nowhere in the reference design those things are mentioned in relation to "Edge on N-VDS" configuration, which led me to believe that there is some additional setting that I was missing that would allow me to connect T0 uplinks directly to "Trunked_LS1" and "Trunked_LS2" segments.

0 Kudos