VMware Networking Community
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

NSX-T 2.4: Discrepancies in Edge creation between Getting Started and Fabric => Nodes

Noticing two odd things here in NSX-T 2.4. Want to run them by the community in case I'm just an idiot and am obviously overlooking something.

1. When creating an Edge via the Getting Started Wizard (System => Getting Started => Setup Transport Nodes button), getting to step #8 of the wizard (Link to Transport Zone (North-South)), when selecting "Use Static IP List", the user has the ability to ostensibly configure an interface on the VLAN uplink in that transport zone. But once the edge is deployed, this interface doesn't exist and the IP isn't reachable. When creating an Edge via the traditional way (System => Fabric => Nodes => Edge Transport Nodes), regardless of the type of uplink profile you create, the IP Assignment field will not allow you to create any interface. I believe this is due to the fact that the interface is actually assigned as a T0 router uplink port. If that's so, what does setting this in the Getting Started wizard provide you? Not understanding something here, or maybe this is a UI bug.
  2. When creating an Edge via the Getting Started Wizard (System => Getting Started => Setup Transport Nodes button) and going all the way through the wizard after assigning transport zones and NICs to each one, viewing that same edge under Edge Transport Nodes shows that those NICs are swapped. See screenshots as follows.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

pastedImage_6.png

pastedImage_7.png

If I create the Edge through the traditional method, the interfaces are assigned as indicated in that section and are consistent. Unless I'm again missing something, this feels like a bug to me, but because I can reach the TEP of the edge from my other transport nodes, I can't tell which is correct here.

Anyone seeing the same thing or can validate this behavior (both points) in their environment?

17 Replies
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not sure I correctly understood the second problem, but here's how things work:

1) When an Edge VM is created it has 4 NICs. The first one is always management and the other three are Eth0, Eth1 and Eth2 in that order. This appears correctly on the first 2 screenshots.

2) The N-VDS itself has its uplink ports which are named uplink-1, uplink-2, etc., depending on how many uplinks you configure for them. The Edge VM NICs are then associated to N-VDS uplinks.

3) In your screenshots you have 2 different N-VDS, each with its own uplink-1. All seems correct here, as each N-VDS uplink is mapped to a different NIC. If I did not misunderstand your question the problem is regarding uplink-1, but they are just the first uplink of each N-VDS.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yep, I understand all you're saying, but I don't think you're quite understanding either of the two questions Smiley Happy

Let's look at #1 again.

Why can I assign a static IP on the VLAN transport zone uplink if A) that static IP doesn't take effect and B) it isn't reflected after the edge is provisioned? If I need to provide screenshots on that I'll do so gladly.

To address #2.

It's not about the uplink ports' names (you can call them whatever you like in the profile; this has no bearing on where you assign them), it's about them apparently getting reversed. Look at my screenshots again and compare the port groups on the wizard with those on the edge page. I set them one way on the wizard, and they appear reversed when editing the edge node.

If none of this still makes sense, I can try to describe again (with better illustrations).

0 Kudos
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Got it now. Will have to test it out in the lab. Does look like a bug.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Which one? Or both?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Able to find anything here?

0 Kudos
SRoland
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yeah. I reproduced. Same issue here. Can you open case with GSS to report? If not let me know. Thanks!

//Roland

Note: even though I work for VMware the notes here are mine and must not be treated as an official response from VMware.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

SRoland Which part did you reproduce? I had two points I made above.

As a partner, we get a very limited amount of SRs each year. I would prefer not to burn one to report a bug. Can you open one on my behalf? Otherwise, I'll check with our partner manager.

0 Kudos
SRoland
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I was about to update Smiley Wink

The second one. The GUI is swapping the N-VDS <-> interface assignment.

Interestingly the Edge node seems to have the correct config and can reach others through the overlay nework.

2019-05-03 12_32_05-10.180.34.70 - Remote Desktop Connection1.png2019-05-03 12_32_14-10.180.34.70 - Remote Desktop Connection1.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

SRoland​ Yeah, the GUI swap is pretty obvious, though as you say it does appear to forward traffic correctly. But I've still got that nagging question in #1. Why would the wizard allow you to set a static IP that the manual edge creation doesn't allow? What, if anything, am I missing here?

0 Kudos
SRoland
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am checking that as well. Might take a bit longer though. Need to deploy again ...

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You can just blow one edge away and create it in the wizard then check it out in the Edge Nodes pane. It's pretty easily reproducible. This is either a GUI bug as well or this is some new functionality "unlocked" by the wizard that isn't there in the standard edge creation process.

Regarding the SR, is that something you can open on my behalf or do I need to get our PM to track someone down from the BU to do it for us?

0 Kudos
SRoland
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

OK, seems it is shorter then anticipated I checked the current deployment.

You are right with the first one as well. That step (assign the IP) would require to add (or use) a VLAN based Segment to be used as uplink and the presence of a Tier-0 gateway. I don't know now where that IP goes then.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

SRoland​ or mauricioamorim

Were either of you able to find any more info through your digging (on either of the two questions/issues)?

0 Kudos
SRoland
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Regarding your 1st problem: I still don't see where the configured IP go. I would say that is one bug or problem for sure.

And same for the second problem: I was able to repro that as well. First the config worked even though the UI showed different the command line outputs. As soon as I tried to "fix" the UI everything got messed up and disconnected.

Again both may require bug report to engineering as I see it. If you cannot do that I may, but would take some time.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for responding. As a partner, we have a finite number of SRs we can open each year. It costs us a case to even report bugs like these. I'm really trying to save those cases for instances where we need feedback from GSS versus telling VMware about a bug in their product(s). If you'd like to open an internal PR, go right ahead. I might otherwise have our partner manager track someone down at NSBU instead.

0 Kudos
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I reproduced issue #1 and I have reported internally. As I see it the wizard should not let you configure an IP in the VLAN Transport Zone the same way the normal procedure to add an Edge VM, as this does not make sense.

I will do the same for issue #2.

daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Thank you both. I hope this goes back into the product at some point.

0 Kudos