VMware Networking Community
lwallimann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NSX-T 2.1 on KVM

I have successfully set up NSX-T, I have two ESXi Hypervisor and one KVM Hypervisor. ON the ESXi everything works as expected but on KVM I have some troubles.

The Geneve Tunnel does not come up on the KVM Host and also the logical switches are not pushed to the KVM Host. Does someone have an idea what the problem is or how I can troubleshoot this further?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lwallimann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Mike

Thanks a lot for your information. In the mean time I found the problem that I had.

I was running the management interface and the interface for the geneve tunnel on the same subnet. On KVM I had then routing and arp issues, the geneve traffic was going out the wrong interface.

As soon as I set up another subnet for the geneve tunnel interface everything was working.

Regards Lars

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tanurkov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HI please Make the following API call to get the state of the transport node.

GET https://<nsx-mgr>/api/v1/transport-nodes/<transport-node-ID>/state

Regards Dmitri

0 Kudos
lwallimann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

{

"state": "success",

"host_switch_states": [

{

"endpoints": [

{

"default_gateway": "",

"device_name": "nsx-vtep0.0",

"ip": "192.168.55.244",

"subnet_mask": "255.255.255.0",

"label": 57349

}

],

"transport_zone_ids": [

"3da9b163-ece5-4652-b07a-5f102d85cbf7"

],

"host_switch_name": "overlay1-vds",

"host_switch_id": "nsx-switch.0"

}

],

"transport_node_id": "8ee4c4ad-d4cb-4ac4-b967-795b3809d451",

"maintenance_mode_state": "DISABLED"

}

I see the nsx-switch.0 bridge on the host but with the nsxcli I don't see the logical switches

kvm1> get logical-switches

Logical Switches Summary

============================================================

Switch UUID                 VNI/VLAN  Port Count

kvm1>

And also the Geneve Tunnel is down, on the two ESXi Host these Tunnels are up.

0 Kudos
Michael_Law1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Iwallimann,

I have noticed that on both ESXi and KVM the Transport Nodes Status will report 'Down' if there are no Virtual Machines that are attached to any logical switches on the hypervisor. On ESXi, as soon as I attach a VM to a logical switch, the Status will report 'Up'. The problem with this approach, is that it appears there is a problem on both the Fabric ->Nodes->Hosts UI page, and on the Fabric -> Transport Zone UI page where it shows a status of 'Degraded'. This is a misleading presentation of information because there actually is no problem.

If you have no Virtual Machines on these hosts, then all you can verify is that the Controller and Manager Connectivity reports as 'Up' on Fabric -> Nodes -> Hosts UI page.

For KVM, I also experience not being able to view the logical switches through the NSXCLI. According to VMware administrative guide, you have to attach the VM, via the 'Add Logical Port' page that ultimately requires you to have the Attachment ID (also called InterfaceID on Linux). My current issue is that when my VMs are built on KVM, they do not possess an InterfaceID. I'm using QEMU-KVM, virtlib (Virsh), and sometimes virt-manager. I'm not familiar with Linux as much as I am ESXi but this seems superfluously difficult to perform a basic operation of attaching a VM to a logical switch on KVM.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
lwallimann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Mike

Thanks a lot for your information. In the mean time I found the problem that I had.

I was running the management interface and the interface for the geneve tunnel on the same subnet. On KVM I had then routing and arp issues, the geneve traffic was going out the wrong interface.

As soon as I set up another subnet for the geneve tunnel interface everything was working.

Regards Lars

0 Kudos