VMware Networking Community
hkkris
Contributor
Contributor

NSX Multicast support

Hi All,

We are deploying NSX in our environment,  i need to know whether i can send multicast traffic from VM to Physical world? (Note this is not about VTEP multicast learning).

My VM runs some applications which generates multicast traffic (sent out in a specified mulitcast group) & my receiver is sitting in phycial world needs to join that group.

so scenario is like this

1.JPG

1) VM (tenant A - 203.x.x.x) network is connected to NSX Edge Gateway on one side & other side is connected to Arista using 172.31.x.x/30 range, which in turn connects to Tenant A Physical world. (NOTE: Same IP will be used on VM side i.e. 203.X.X.X for all tenants)

2) So VM is the Source of multicast traffic and PC which is in Physical world is the receiver. So they need RP configured on one of the router, i was thinking to configure on NSX edge Gateway but then identified it doesnt suppport any Multicast routing.

Problem is i cannot configure RP on Arista switch, because the Tenant's IP will be same across all the tenants (203.x.x.x). so that means i cannot differentiate which tenants wants that multicast feed.

I know one solution is to stretch that 203.x.x network all the way to Tenant Switch and configure RP there, would solve my issue.

But is there any other way do this ? without stretching that segment ????? Please provide any sort of advise.

Thanks

Hari

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies