VMware Networking Community
imanedr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NSX Licensing

hi there

please someone explain me per cpu licensing model for nsx.

in my environment with 50 hp dl380 g9 server and 2cpu per server how many licnse i have to buy?

100?

my environment already have this component :

vsphere enterprise plus 6

vcloud sute  6.2.x

thansk for your replay and sorry for my poor english

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
showard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

To clarify a bit, you would only need 100 CPU licenses if you wanted to run NSX on the entire environment.  You can run it only on a subset like say one cluster that needs more security than others for instance.  Plenty of customers start that way.

Also, since you're running vCloud Suite, there is an add-on SKU for NSX that is not the full price you'd pay for NSX on its own.  Finally, for that many licenses, there's no way you'd pay list price - there's lots of things your VMware sales rep can do with pricing at that scale.  If you don't know who your rep is, email me directly at showard@vmware.com and I'll get you connected.

Thanks!

Sean

View solution in original post

3 Replies
bsalek
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You are correct. One NSX license per socket, so two per host.

imanedr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi

thanks for your reply.

so i have to spend more than 500000$ for 100 license?

0 Kudos
showard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

To clarify a bit, you would only need 100 CPU licenses if you wanted to run NSX on the entire environment.  You can run it only on a subset like say one cluster that needs more security than others for instance.  Plenty of customers start that way.

Also, since you're running vCloud Suite, there is an add-on SKU for NSX that is not the full price you'd pay for NSX on its own.  Finally, for that many licenses, there's no way you'd pay list price - there's lots of things your VMware sales rep can do with pricing at that scale.  If you don't know who your rep is, email me directly at showard@vmware.com and I'll get you connected.

Thanks!

Sean