VMware Networking Community
rajeevsrikant
Expert
Expert

NSX Edge - OSPF

In the below link there is  configuring for redistributing directly connected network in Edge with OSPF routing.

If this option is not enabled what will be the impact ?

Configure OSPF on an Edge Services Gateway

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
smitmartijn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

If that option is not enabled, the directly connected subnets will not be pushed into the OSPF database and not be announced towards its OSPF neighbors. Without redistribution, the Edge will only announce routes already present in the OSPF database (so learned from another neighbor). If you want either directly connected, BGP or static routes to be pushed into the OSPF database, you need to configure redistribution: Configure Route Redistribution

0 Kudos
rajeevsrikant
Expert
Expert

Thanks

Understood your point.

pastedImage_0.png

Below is my design. The edge has 2 external interfaces (2 network) connected to Physical routers to form OSPF nei & the interface connected to the transit network to form OSPF nei with the DLR.

currently the Edge is configured with router redistribution for directly connected network.

So would like to clarify there is no need for this  to be configured for redistribution, Let me know if my understanding is right.

0 Kudos
amolnjadhav
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Rajeev,

As per my understanding, NSX DLR & NSX Edge supports OSPF only on the uplink interface "Please correct me if i am wrong"

In your case you have edge uplink is connected to physical router and internal interface is connected to transit switch. As i mentioned above edge support OSPF only on uplink interface hence in your case you have to re-distributed conneted interface into outside world.

I hope i have clarifiy your doubt. 

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Regards Amol Jadhav VCP NSXT | VCP NSXV | VCIX6-NV | VCAP-DCA | CCNA | CCNP - BSCI
0 Kudos
tanurkov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESG support both

DLR only Uplink

and only one protocol per uplink in DLR

0 Kudos