VMware Networking Community
yhum
Contributor
Contributor

NSX Edge Load Balancer - VIP on Internal vs Uplink Interface in Inline Mode

Dear All,

We intend to use NSX ESG as load balancer in inline mode. There are 3 web servers behind DLR and ESG will load balance the web traffic coming from inside servers (on other subnets on same DLR) and outside users at remote locations via MPLS private network. Virtual IP (VIP) for the web servers will be from a separate IP range (not secondary IP from one of the interface). So my question is which interface of ESG going to have VIP?

I tried the VIP on both ESG Uplink and transit/internal but both worked fine, I didn't see any difference.

As i mentioned VIP is going to be from another range so VIP subnet will be configured on one of the interface as 2nd Network. And web traffic will be hitting from both inside and outside.

Below is the sample diagram (also attached) to help understand the IP addressing and traffic flow.

Regards

ESG-LB.png

4 Replies
serbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In inline mode the VIP should typically be on the uplink interface of the ESG (the interface facing the client). In proxy mode the VIP resides on the same network as the service it's load balancing for.

Best regards, Rutger
yhum
Contributor
Contributor

As stated earlier, I have both internal and external clients so the traffic will be hitting both internal and external interface of ESG. Moreover, Load balancing work fine regardless of which of the interfaces i configure for VIP? So my confusion is which of the interfaces i should use and why?

0 Kudos
serbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well it works because in both scenarios you connect the Edge interface to a VLAN-backed port group (vSwitch or DVS), right?

Best regards, Rutger
0 Kudos
yhum
Contributor
Contributor

No. ESG uplink is connected Vlan backed distributed port group, however, internal/transit interface is connected to NSX Logical switch.

since it works regardless i configure the VIP on uplink or internal/transit interface so I still looking for the answer to my original question i.e. what are the pros and cos of using one interface over the other.

0 Kudos