VMware Networking Community
virtualert
Contributor
Contributor

NSX EVAL License for Training and Education Purposes?

I have been trying to find documentation, recommendations on usage of NSX license for purely educational purposes. I have 3 different VMware account, first one as VMUG Advantage users, second as Premium Partner (due to my current job at IBM) and third one is ordinary account which I used to purchase/download VMware workstation. Now in my VMUG account I can download any VMware component, in my partner account, I can see there are vast number of options, so many options that I am scare to be lost in it if I start to explore, and in my ordinary account as normal user, I do not see VMware NSX as listed for EVAL download. Now, what I wanted is that to let my students to use my hardware server in cloud to deploy, practice vmware vSphere and NSX and delete it after usage. But I am very confused what VMware thinks of using NSX in such a way! Since preparing for NSX professional and higher certification requires exploring almost all the aspects of NSX it is needed to have enterprise version of NSX, and I am not running huge enterprise here, so buying 6995 USD / CPU NSX license is not viable solution for me either. I am looking if someone more educated in this area can enlighten me? Buysing VMUG advantage is one thing, but buying hardware (20 CPU threads plus 32+ GB of RAM just for NSX components) for running complete VMware NSX is another issue. I want to provide hardware which I have, but what to do about license for using on it for learning? I explored option of HOL (hands-on-lab) but as long as one does not deploy, prepare hosts from scratch, run API calls and such can not have thorough experience of NSX!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
smitmartijn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Just to make it a bit more clear; you're looking for a licensing solution for when you train people on NSX?

If my assumption is correct, here's the next question: do you want to deliver these trainings in house at IBM or are you looking to train external people? If it's internal only - there might be some NFR type licensing you can make a play for (ask your VMware representative, or your internal licensing bureau as IBM has an existing relationship). If it's external people you want to train, the VCI program might be something for you, where VMware Education will provide you with trail licenses for the training durations.

0 Kudos