VMware Networking Community
Turorxy
Contributor
Contributor

NSX Development Opportunity

Dear All,

I'm new to NSX. As I'm developer, mostly for web application.

I would like to know for NSX, any opportunity to develop something like policy server on top of NSX to send REST API to control NSX ?

I'm not sure can NSX manager support all the requirement? or any specific requirement not support and need to develop external GUI or scrip to push policy to NSX. Any resource I can find more detail about this?

Thanks for all comment.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please refer to the NSX API Reference Guide for details on how to interact with NSX via its northbound interface.

All guides are available here: VMware NSX for vSphere Documentation

0 Kudos
Turorxy
Contributor
Contributor

Do you know what is the use case to develop third party application via API?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Most common use case for NSX API is integration with Cloud Management Systems or self-service portals.

0 Kudos
Turorxy
Contributor
Contributor

This mean VMWare didn't have any self-service portal? and partner need to find third party or develop their own to integrate?

I heard that VMWare has some software call "Vcloud suite" and it can do self-service and charging. Is it a self-service portal in this case? product.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

NSX for vSphere has a UI plugin for vSphere Web client. This plugin uses NSX API.

In addition to that, two existing VMware products use NSX via API - vCD and vCAC.

vCloud Suite that you mention contains vCAC, which includes functionality of a self-service portal.

Turorxy
Contributor
Contributor

it look like VMWare provide all tools to provisioning, manage and self-service portal, etc for deploy NSX solution.

Since my company is a software development company and software customization. Do you think any task still need customization or integration base on NSX solution?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I expect this would depend on what your customers are asking for.