VMware Networking Community
sorenemig
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NSX DLR Control VM Upgrade impact

From this KB Operational Impacts of NSX Upgrades

"Packet forwarding is temporarily interrupted" but is this also true for DLR Edge? AFAIK the VM does not participate in packet forwarding, so... is this statement also true for DLR Edges?

We have some DLR that only does L2 Bridges... what about upgrade impact impact of those?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mdac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi sorenemig,

Generally the risk with DLR CVMs is around dynamic routing. BGP/OSPF peering can be lost during the upgrade, which can trigger route removal on all ESXi hosts via the control plane. This can be mitigated somewhat through the use of floating static routes.

The control VM is used only for L2 bridging configuration. Once deployed, bridging is handled exclusively by the net-vdr module in ESXi. That said, I wouldn't think control VM interruption would impact it. None the less, it would still be a good idea to upgrade DLR/ESG VMs during proper maintenance windows only.

Regards,

Mike

My blog: https://vswitchzero.com Follow me on Twitter: @vswitchzero

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mdac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi sorenemig,

Generally the risk with DLR CVMs is around dynamic routing. BGP/OSPF peering can be lost during the upgrade, which can trigger route removal on all ESXi hosts via the control plane. This can be mitigated somewhat through the use of floating static routes.

The control VM is used only for L2 bridging configuration. Once deployed, bridging is handled exclusively by the net-vdr module in ESXi. That said, I wouldn't think control VM interruption would impact it. None the less, it would still be a good idea to upgrade DLR/ESG VMs during proper maintenance windows only.

Regards,

Mike

My blog: https://vswitchzero.com Follow me on Twitter: @vswitchzero
0 Kudos
sorenemig
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi vswitchzero,

Thank you.... I had the opportunity to test some scenarios:

DLR with static routs = no outage

DLR with OSPF = 3 sec. outage