VMware Networking Community
Ghavidel
Contributor
Contributor

NSX Controller and Edge Load Balancing

Hi,I have just finished the Pearson NSX book and I am in the middle of a NSX deployment project.at this stage we just need Edge Load Balancer feature. as far as I got from the book I don`t need NSX controller just for this feature.am I right?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
smitmartijn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

You do need the NSX controllers to deploy & configure NSX Edges. The controllers are used as a source of configuration & operational information for the Edges. The only use-case where you do not need NSX controllers is if you only want to use the Distributed Firewall functionality.

Hope that helps,

0 Kudos
Ghavidel
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for the answer. I just looked it up again in NSX documentation center and came across this:

"NSX Controller is an advanced distributed state management system that provides control plane functions for NSX logical switching and routing functions. It serves as the central control point for all logical switches within a network and maintains information about all hosts, logical switches (VXLANs), and distributed logical routers. Controllers are required if you are planning to deploy 1) distributed logical routers or 2) VXLAN in unicast or hybrid mode."

the book says this also.we won't have any dynamic routing or logical switches in near future.

I just wanted to be sure that not missing something mysterious Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
rajeevsrikant
Expert
Expert

Similar discussion on the below post.

Do we really need the NSX controllers for enabling only DFW in the cluster?

NSX controllers are not required when there is no VXLAN, no dynamic routing protocols with Edge & DLR.

0 Kudos