mhood59
Contributor
Contributor

NSX Controller Distribution across 2 vCentre Datacentres

Hi - I have recently rolled out Skyline advisor and one of the items highlighted was that we have 2 x NSX controllers on one host. Our UK1 datacenter only has 2 hosts per cluster so we cannot split the 3 controllers any other way. However, we do have a second cluster (UK2) which also has a local NSX Manager installed.

I recall at the time of installation, we were only required to have 3 controllers per estate so further controllers were not rolled out in UK2. Our 2 vCentres are in linked mode and have IPv4 connectivity between them.

Am I therefore able to migrate one of the NSX controllers to the UK2 datacenter, changing the IP as part of that process or will this not work? I have not been able to confirm this in the official documentation.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ZibiM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

First of all are you asking about NSX-V or NSX-T ?

Which version ?

In regard to the NSX-T please check Dimitri Desmidt presentation about NSX design for multisite

In short - splitting nsx components between just 2 sites is not recommended

You either keep everything on 1 site with metro-cluster ability to HA on the 2nd site,

or you have the design with spreading nsx controllers on 3 sites (1 per site) and utilizing external LB in front.

0 Kudos
mhood59
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ZibiM

Thanks for your response.

We are using NSX-V and version 6.4.6.14819921. No upgrades are available in the GUI so I trust this remains the latest.

We do only have 2 physical sites, with 2 hosts in each of those sites. We have very good bandwidth between the sites.

I have found the article you mention which seems to have plenty of use cases in. Is this only relevant to NSX-T though?

https://cms.vmworldonline.com/event_data/12/session_notes/CNET1334BU.pdf

Thanks again

0 Kudos
ZibiM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes - this presentation is for NSX-T only

Unfortunately I cannot say that much about NSX-V

Please bear in mind that NSX-V has 1:1 connection with the vCenter and it's not expected to have NSX infra spread across 2 separate sites.

In your situation I'd rather check whether it is possible to use Fault Tolerance

Smthg like singular NSX Controller at each site with FT enabled

I don't know if this is a supported scenario though

0 Kudos
mhood59
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again ZibiM

I have discussed with VMware NSX team and they suggest it may be possible to simply delete one of the controllers in siteA and redeploy it with a new IP in SiteB. Whether this new Controller would need to be on the local site NSX Manager or all 3 still on the primary NSX Manager is unclear.

We could also try provisioning a stretched switch between the sites and migrate the 3rd controller as it is, maintaining the IP.

Both of the above are not verified solutions and we have been advised we would be test-pilots so to speak which is fair enough. Given the relative ease of controller deployment and the fact we would still have 2 on at all times (ensuring the one removed was from the host that currently has 2 controllers on it), we should be able to proceed on the basis of minimal risk.

I will loop back after testing in the next couple of days for the benefit of any others interested in the topic.

0 Kudos